phantom power

I was just kiddin', bud. And I apologize.

I'm new enough to have the same types of questions. Actually, you caused me to learn something. Gotta love that! Here's one: What effect, if any, is there if a mic signal powered my a pre is sent into the mixer with phantom power activated? Surge? Over voltage?

Rick

Actually, it shouldn't hurt your mixer. Most mixers have a 10 mfd cap on the input just to block any DC from hurting stuff inside the mixer.

I think it's only the electret type mics that can use the variable voltages. I think the standard condensors usually require 48v power. Is that correct Harvey?

Taylor

Lookie'der...now we all learned something!
Someone had warned me against: guitar, pre, mixer concerning overload. Made sense at the time, but then, as a rookie I'm pretty gullible.

Thanks Harvey.

MrZekeMan said:
I think it's only the electret type mics that can use the variable voltages. I think the standard condensors usually require 48v power. Is that correct Harvey?

Taylor
That's right, MrZekeMan. "Electrets" don't need phantom power to charge the capsule - the capsule has the charge built in. They DO use the phantom power to steal a few volts to run the electronics.

Most "externally charged" capsules like to see anywhere from 48 to about 100 volts hitting them. The 48V going in is boosted to higher voltages in many mics.

Very basic question regarding phantom power:

I am new to using mics that require phantom power, and I am wondering if there is a sequence for plugging in mics and activating the power which is best for the mics.

In other words, does plugging the mics in and then switching on phantom power (creating a pop and momentary jump in the levels) damage the mic in any way? I have both large and small diaphragm condensers if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Trumpetman.

Oops! Please disregard my question above. The same question was answered by Harvey yesterday in the thread "Phantom Power" (as opposed to this thread, "phantom power" -- note lack of CAPS). :)

The proper sequence is to plug in the mics, turn down all the levels, and then turn on the power.

Sorry for the repetitive question,
Trumpetman.

Back