phantom power

rankmanugly

hows it going.
I have a question about mics as i am no expert.
I may be buying a recording console where two of the four inputs have phantom power. The phantom power is either on or off for both, you cant have one on and not the other.
My question is can a normal mic such as a SM57 be plugged into a socket with phantom power or will it mess with the sound?
I have a condenser that needs the power, and i want to be able to use the other input for a normal mic. Is there any solution to this? perhaps an external pre?
anyway,
thanks heaps if anyone can help.
Tom

Phantom power will not hurt an SM57 or most any other dynamic mic. In unusual situations, ribbon mics can be damaged, but even that is rare.

cheers mate,
another question if you've got time, will two SM57s, a SM58 and a condenser be enough to get a good sound from a drum kit in your opinion?
cheers

rankmanugly said:
cheers mate,
another question if you've got time, will two SM57s, a SM58 and a condenser be enough to get a good sound from a drum kit in your opinion?
cheers

I'd rather have two condensers and two 57s, but yes, it will work. Use the 58 on kick, a 57 on snare, and the condenser overhead. If you need another spot mic, use the other 57.

Back