Phantom Power Question

MisterC

Is there any problem having a dynamic mic (SM57) plugged into an input with phantom power (48v) enabled?

On my mixer I get phantom power on all or none.

Any problems with other dynamic mics?

What's the purpose?

I have a new Shure sm 58 and an audio buddy pre amp and someone told me they knew by listening that I'd used a dynamic mic for my audio clip on my site. Will the phantom power make a difference?

Dynamic mics don't use phantom power. Condensors do. Depending on the mic, it's relatively easy to tell if it's a dynamic or a condensor just by listening. Condensor mics are more accurate for the most part and generally (but not always)have a wider frequency response.
Phantom power won't help or hurt your dynamic. It'll simply ignore it.

If your mic cable is wired correctly you won't have a problem. I've never seen a commercially available cable that wasn't.

Rest easy.

The only potential problem is with ribbon mics. Normal dynamic mics do not notice phantom power at all. Phantom uses the nature of balanced audio to cancel out the 48v power before it can affect anything. Just don't let phantom power touch ribbon mics.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
Just don't let phantom power touch ribbon mics.

Actually Light, I always thought that too. But it turns out, (as someone explained here, maybe Harvey?) that phantom power is pretty harmless to ribbons as well UNLESS the cable is miswired, in which case it will destroy the mic.

Appreciate the reply re phantom power and dynamic mics

Thanks a lot. You guys always come through for me.
I'm now wondering if I should have gotten a condensor mic, which I can always do down the road after a save some more pennies. Also, does my audio buddy pre-amp supply sufficient phantom power for a condensor mic?

For an electret type condensor, no problem. For one that's externally polarized, more than likely.

im a newbie

excuse me, i couldnt understand whats 'phantom power' by reading the pages, could anyone try to explain it to me please?

i mean, is it a thing u have to buy? hows it?...... will it come inside a mixer or something? sorry i dont have a clue.

Thx.
Marcos.

Back