Phantom power on a mixer...

HyperAXISZ2

I'm planning on buying a Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer... But, I have a feeling I'm going to encounter some problems. I'm getting a condensor mic, and I want to plug the condensor mic into phantom power, and then plug that into a compressor/limiter, and then all that into a mixer... But, the UB802 has phantom power built in, meaning that I'd have to plug the mic directly into the mixer, and if I wanted to use a compressor, I'd have to plug the mixer into the compressor...
But if I do that, then I'll be compressing the other instruments plugged into my mixer, such as my electric and bass guitars... and I only want to compress the condensor mic signal. o_o... any solutions?

HyperAXISZ2 said:
I'm planning on buying a Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer... But, I have a feeling I'm going to encounter some problems. I'm getting a condensor mic, and I want to plug the condensor mic into phantom power, and then plug that into a compressor/limiter, and then all that into a mixer... But, the UB802 has phantom power built in, meaning that I'd have to plug the mic directly into the mixer, and if I wanted to use a compressor, I'd have to plug the mixer into the compressor...
But if I do that, then I'll be compressing the other instruments plugged into my mixer, such as my electric and bass guitars... and I only want to compress the condensor mic signal. o_o... any solutions?
Are you recording to a computer? Will your signal go mic>mixer>compressor>computer? If so, just take the compressor out of the chain when you don't want it. You might try and just record dry, and then use the compressor, or any other FX, when you do a mix.

I think you will encounter some problems. The UB802 doesn't have inserts, the most useful place to attach a compressor if you want channel, rather than whole-of-mix, compression.

there may be some work-arounds.

Was it your intention to mix (and presumably record) vocals, guitar and bass as a stereo mix straight from the mixer output? If so, there are fewer options. If you are tracking these separately, you can leave the compressor hooked up between mixer and next device, just switching it in and out as required. It's not very elegant, but it will get you by.

The UB802 has an aux send and return, with separate return level control. If the send is pre-fade, then you can use this as a kind of insert. Mike into channel one, aux (fx) out into compressor input, compressor output into aux return, and control the level from here, leaving the channel volume off. However, this may bypass the EQ controls as well. If the send is not pre-fade, then this option won't help.

Back