Phantom Power For Tascam M-308

DESSERT DWELLER

Hello I just purchaced a Tascam M-308 mixer from E-Bay. I need some Phantom power.

I already own a Joemeek preamp that has a single channel of phantom power but I will be needing one or two additional channels of Phantom power.

I have considered getting the Studio Projects VTB-1 preamp. This would give me the phantom power plus preamp. Does anyone have thoughts as to how good the preamps will sound on the M-308?

IF the preamps on the M-308 sound really good I guess I could just purchace an external Phantom power unit.

Last question. I have noticed that phantom power units vary greatly in price. How do I know which ones will work for me? Why do some cost more than others?

Thanks a lot for your help.

I own two M312B mixers which actually have the phantom power built in and switchable via back panel, for every two input channels.

I can attest to their sound quality being first rate on their own so I would not recommend an external pre-amp for those mixers.

Better just to look for a decent two channel or 4 channel phantom power external unit and save some money.

As for why some units are more expensive then others, I would assume that normal factors like construction and interior parts quality as well as brand name snobbery would explain the price spread that is out there.

Considering that the interior circuitry of a phantom power supply is not that complex, I would keep units that sell for 100 bucks or less on my short list.

I don't have a specific make and model to recommend to you but perhaps the guys in the Microphone forum could better answer your question about that.

Cheers! :)

the 308 is in the same family as

Ghosts 312 and my 320B, and I believe you will find that it has phantom power available on every channel, and very nice sounding pre-amps internal as well.

would suggest you wait till it arrives and check it out yourself before getting into something you may not need.

Is that coming with a manual? The tascam manual covers the 308 / 312 / 320 family and is very comprehensive.

as an aside - before I got my 320, I needed to supply phantom power to my one condensor mic, I got an ART tube pre-amp, which comes standard with a Sovtek 12AX7 tube, which I changed out for a Mullard (have a fair supply of tubes for my guitar amps) that made a nice difference, and my aRT tube MP is pretty sweet sounding as well.

all the best

b-h

Thanks Ghost and Blues hacker,

I don't know if the M-300 is coming with a manual. If not, do you guys know where I could possibly obtain one?

Thanks.

TEAC/ TASCAM parts department can be found here;

TEAC America, Inc.
7733 Telegraph Rd.
Montebello, CA. 90640
USA
Phone: (323) 726-0303
Fax: (323) 727-7656

They should still have the manual in stock. It goes for about 30 bucks.

Cheers! :)

Back