phantom power and compressors

noground

Outboard compressors do not have phantom power.
I also heard that it is the convention to use a preamp with phantom power in the signal chain before a compressor.

But the volume I get off the toms is huge and does not merit using a preamp. Should I just buy some of those nifty phantom power things or is there some other reason that a preamp needs to be inserted before the compressor when miking drums or anything else with high SPL's?

Thanks to anyone for clearing this up.

Phantom power is only required for condensor mics (except electret condensors which have an onboard battery).The fact that you are getting good levels suggests you are using a dynamic mic,otherwise the mic wouldn't even be working.
Phanton power hooked to a dynamic mic won't hurt but it doesn't help either.
Please talk in more detail about your gear.

Tom

I will make this more clear:

I'm using a condenser mic (AKG C2000S) with phantom power straight into my VS1680. With the preamps of the 1680 turned down all the way, I'm getting quite a big signal. So I figure that if I got phantom power and plugged the mic into the compressor, I would get similar levels out of it, and would not need a preamp. Am I right in thinking this, or is there some other reason I should go through a preamp first?

A compressor is NOT a preamp.... and IMO, shouldn't be "interchanged" with one.

If you have a good mic, you use a good pre to get the most out of it. You patch a compressor in only when you need to compress a signal, and then not usually during tracking (except possibly in "live recording" situations).

YMMV....

Bruce

If the signal is loud enough (like when close miking a tom), that a compressor can accept the signal and produce acceptable results, wouldn't it be just as good to go straight into the compressor and then use the preamp in my VS 1680 to increase the volume a slight amount before recording the track?

I guess what I am ultimately asking is:

If I can make the signal chain: microphone-compressor-preamp for these loud sources, why should I spend significantly more money to go: microphone-preamp-compressor?

Please somebody clear this up for me...

...because you should only have the compressor in the chain IF you need it, and it's generally NOT a good idea to be using it AS you record. You patch it into a channel IF needed during mixdown. Besides, if all you need is to drop a high signal level, you should simply insert a pad after your mic...

That is common practice... BUT --- if your way works better for you, then go ahead and do it!

If it sounds good, it IS good... record engineering is one of the few areas where the end justifies the means.

Bruce

I'll go into the line in's with dynamics on toms on my mackie and get enough signal. So yeah I see what you mean. Get a phantom power unit and try it. See if you can borrow one. What you get will depends largely on the input stage of your compressor, does your compressor have balanced/unbalanced connections?

-jhe

I believe the problem is that the phantom power from the Roland will not be able to pass through the compressor to the mic. Does the Roland unit have inserts on any of the mic channels? This might be the ticket. Good luck!
-Evan

Back