phantom power adapter

johnd

Hey guys. I have a MXL large diaphram condenser mic and a BR-532 (has an internal preamp). I have been powering the condenser with a ART Tube MP pre with phantom power. It is OK, but it is a bit noisy. I was thinking of getting a straight phantom power adapter. Would this reduce the noise that I am getting? Is there a brand that is a standard?

It is putting out plenty of juice (maybe too much). I just don't like the way it makes the vocals sound (too noisy) and was wondering if a basic phantom power adapter might clear this up, since I already have a preamp inside my BR-532.

I use a 'standard' phantom power adapter by 'ROLLS', with no noise problems - recording through a KSM27 to a BR532.

My inexperienced ear has been happy with the results - mainly recording accustic & voice...

Hope this helps!

Jim

Thanks, Jim! That helps a lot. That is just what I wanted to know, as I am recording mostly acoustic and vocals.

John

The phantom power is not your problem unless the preamp is defective. There isnt any big difference in phantom power units. Thats like saying one AA battery is cleaner than another. If there is serious noise than something is defective or you have a ground loop.

Thanks for your attention, TexRoadkill. Maybe I am wrong here (I am new to this, after all), but I thought that the ART Tube MP preamp would change the sound of the signal coming from the condenser mic. If not, then I guess I might have a grounding problem. It is not that much loudness, but I can see it eventually getting annoying.

Back