Phantom power 18V

Giampy Car

Hi, i'm new on this forum, and i'd like to ask you some new small questions about recording issue.
1. LDC that usually works at +48V phantom power can works at only +18V without damages?
2. what's your impressions about this gears?
a) LDC Behringer B2pro
b) Mixer Behringer MBX1002.

Tnx in advance.
Regards

Basically, your typical electret condensers can handle most any voltage all the way down to 9 or so. Standard externally-biased condensers need the 48 volts. Electrets used to have a bad rap, but these days it really means very little when it comes to quality of sound. Some good electrets that come to mind are the AKG C4000...well...not that much else, honestly. Large diaphragm electrets don't come to mind as easily as SDC.

Giampy Car said:
Hi, i'm new on this forum, and i'd like to ask you some new small questions about recording issue.
1. LDC that usually works at +48V phantom power can works at only +18V without damages?
It will do no damage at all, but there may be some drop-off in the quality of the sound.

check the Mic documentation... some mics will not function or will distort at that low voltage level

I've read the mic specifications but there is no mention about the voltage tolerance. Do you think the mic will distort at hi sound pressure level?

48v is nominal... but if there's no mention then it may have a hi tolerance to low voltage... maybe send an Email to customer support and see what they say...

18V is pretty low

Rane uses +15 for phantom power in most of their equipment. The rationale is the mic uses an internal step-up mechanism to get the high voltage required to polarize the element.

I've been told that it either works, or does not. Damage is not a problem. Knowing this, I sent a note to Audio Technica about this issue.

I never got a reply.

So, I plugged my AT4040 into Rane's +15 volts, and it works just fine.

bgavin said:
... I've been told that it either works, or does not...
that may or may not be the case. condenser mic circuits are analog amps (tube or tansistor) and low voltage will usually degrade performance before just shutting off. my U195 mic specifically states such a case and warns agains low voltage.

i recommend a check with the manufacturer...

Thanks for the replies, i've just sent my questions to the customer support. I guess they will answer me in the next few days. Anyway i will give you feedback for your understanding.

Back