PF Wish You Were Here cover.

uncle sixer

The latest from The Guest Room Studio, another collab with my friend on vox. I think the overall vox levels are good, but sometimes I listen and feel like they are a bit too hot. I also have mixed feelings about the vox echoes and bringing the bu vox in and out throughout. I feel like the echoes make the song very dreamy and being a big fan of Floyd, I like dreamy, echoey, weird stuff... but is it more dreamy or is it more cheesey?

As usual, I messed with arrangements and tried to stay true to the original while also making it a bit of my own thing... especially the final refrain.

Overall a really great version... Me ....I'd spread the bass more to the left and right instead of the middle.....The repeat echoes are ok but this version will be fine with or without them...kind of like salt n pepper ...to each owns taste.

Guitar playing was well done and sounded good (y)

for me the vocal echo doesn't add anything and is distracting they sound out of time. Vocals are pitchy to me mostly on entry and the faster passing notes . Heroes to ghosts etc. Performance is good I'd tune them subtley but that's me. Guitar solo needs some atmosphere. The bass sounds too di especially during the guitar solo I'd use an ampeg plugin give it some more glue. I would bring up the do do do background vocal part a couple db it sounds good but buried. Finally I'd re record the rhythm acoustic that is out of time at like :13 just up to the vocal entry maybe cause after that it's not as critical but since it's in the intro it's more apparent. Overall it sounds pretty good with those nits

Last edited:
The latest from The Guest Room Studio, another collab with my friend on vox. I think the overall vox levels are good, but sometimes I listen and feel like they are a bit too hot. I also have mixed feelings about the vox echoes and bringing the bu vox in and out throughout. I feel like the echoes make the song very dreamy and being a big fan of Floyd, I like dreamy, echoey, weird stuff... but is it more dreamy or is it more cheesey?

As usual, I messed with arrangements and tried to stay true to the original while also making it a bit of my own thing... especially the final refrain.

Excellent cover...enjoyed it. BTW, I've followed you on Soundcloud...would love to hear your feedback on my tracks as well :)

for me the vocal echo doesn't add anything and is distracting they sound out of time. Vocals are pitchy to me mostly on entry and the faster passing notes . Heroes to ghosts etc. Performance is good I'd tune them subtley but that's me. Guitar solo needs some atmosphere. The bass sounds too di especially during the guitar solo I'd use an ampeg plugin give it some more glue. I would bring up the do do do background vocal part a couple db it sounds good but buried. Finally I'd re record the rhythm acoustic that is out of time at like :13 just up to the vocal entry maybe cause after that it's not as critical but since it's in the intro it's more apparent. Overall it sounds pretty good with those nits
Yes, you are right about the solo. I had the solo guitar track through the reverb bus, but then I wanted to delay the reverb like 60 ms. When I set-up for that I forgot to finish the last step and left the solo very dry.

As for the bass sound, I have always used a very DI sound, which I like when there are lots of other things happening, but when the bass line is more exposed I have felt like it was missing something. I never tried a bass amp modeler before but now I am giving that a try... prob gonna run a bass amp plugin pretty often from now on, even if only to have it in parallel with the DI.

When you 'tried to stay true to the original while also making it a bit of my own thing' you sometimes end up in no mans land. It's a good version but the bass needs some attention as already mentioned. The vocals are really good, other than right at the start 'think you can tell' phrasing bugged me for some reason. They can stand on their own without too many effects. Nice job

God bless you for trying man. It's weird because you get random 5 second patches where you completely capture the ethos of the song, but then lose it again.

Back