Performing Advice Plz

Trotter

Just want to get some tips from experienced performers. I played in a band for a long time, but I've never played solo. I was wondering how as a solo performer you engage with the audience. Do you make eye contact with people audience? Or, do you look a little above their heads? I remember reading that Sinatra would look just above the heads of people in the audience, but they thought he was making eye contact with them.

Ok, here is another question. Have any of you experienced hecklers? If so how do you deal with hecklers? It not something that I want to happen, but would like to be prepared in case the situation arises.

Make eye contact from time to time, but don't stare at one person for too long.

Talk a little, but only a little - they're there to hear you play.

With a heckler, thank them politely. If you're particularly quick-witted, try to turn it back on them (but keep it clean! For example, if someone shouts "You suck," it's probably not wise to respond with, "Yeah, so did your mother - last night).

So, did you get the Elvis gig? It sounded cool.

Make eye contact from time to time, but don't stare at one person for too long.

Talk a little, but only a little - they're there to hear you play.

With a heckler, thank them politely. If you're particularly quick-witted, try to turn it back on them (but keep it clean! For example, if someone shouts "You suck," it's probably not wise to respond with, "Yeah, so did your mother - last night).

So, did you get the Elvis gig? It sounded cool.

Yeah, I do have a gig, but it's not a paying gig. I realized that I have to get some exposure somehow so I've decided to do some freebies. Playing solo is going to be very different, but I'm looking forward to it.

I suppose it depends on the genre (and I'm a folkie), but I always try to engage my audience between songs. I've been told I'm a pretty good story teller and I really believe that the time between songs is as important as the songs themselves. If people only wanted to hear the music, they could stay at home and spin cds, right?

I way agree with JTC111.
Since I've been in Fl, 2/3rds of my gigs are solo. And I'm gigging 6 and 7 nights a week so a lot of solo gigs.
It's the same as with a band ..... yes, they're there to hear you play ...... but if you want them to come back, they have to like you personally. Now, often if you're playing a restaurant or something .... people want to pay attention to visiting and talking with whomever they're with. And they want to pay attention to the food etc. Those gigs I tend to be a bit restrained on how much I intrude. But some people want to chat with you some so you have to make a judgement call.
But in bar settings or places where the music is the main focus, you want to interact with them as much as you are able to do without being dorky. Some people make it easy ..... some, not so much. But if you're in a biker bar ..... make that kind of connection ....... a place with parents getting away from their kids ..... maybe not quite as rough.That sort of thing.
As for hecklers .... hmmmmmm ...... I don't really get any actual hecklers .... some times people will want a song I don't do and they keep asking for it over and over in between every song. I just make a joke of that.
Sometimes folks get too drunk and I have been known to take a break if someone is a particularly obnoxious asshole. They're usually through when I get back.
I'm also a little scarey looking so I will tell someone to get the fuck away from me if I have to but it's been a long time since I had to do that.
In general .... people are on your side ..... they want you to be good.
The best protection against hecklers is confidence. If you know what you're doing is good .... it comes across and people are less inclined to challenge that.

I suppose it depends on the genre (and I'm a folkie), but I always try to engage my audience between songs. I've been told I'm a pretty good story teller and I really believe that the time between songs is as important as the songs themselves. If people only wanted to hear the music, they could stay at home and spin cds, right?

Absolutley and I think that goes for any genre of music making eye contact with your audience while you are performing the song and telling the story between songs is always a good way to connect and to get on a bit of a personal and intimate level with your audience well.
being kind and humble and thankful when they aplaud you also helps to make the audience apreciate your performance more.

always be apreciative to your audience.

one thing I cannot stand is an arogant performer dispite how good they may be, that is an ultimate turn off for me.

Back