Percussion

Bdrum

I've read a lot about recording kits but what about percussion?
I want to record a marching snare and quints.Maybe just a room mic will do?
What about placement on the quints?
Since they sit flat should I place the mic above or below? How far away?
I would call Mike spiro or Santanas drummer but I cant afford their rates :p

You really don't want to close mic a marching snare! We tried it for the percussion opener at the Fiesta Bowl in '96. This was the show that opened up with Simon Phillips, Dave Weckyl, Billy Cobham, Gregg Bisonette etc. doing a percussion instrumental peice. The kits were all mic'd and then we brought in the snare lines from UT and Michigan, that were wired with wireless drum mics. They sounded horrible. Plastic-y and tappy! (Sorry, best words I can think of to desribe)

I think you'd be better off with ambient mics, say LD condensers about 8 feet away. Other percussion equipment like congas, bongos etc. can all be close mic'd with dynamics, condensers, whatever. Marching percussion is tuned too tightly for good results. I'd say even a concert snare would sound better done ambient. They sort of rely on the ambience for the sound anyway.

Thanks,I bet that was a cool experience seeing those guys there.
I know they finally changed the sound for DCI this year because the audio always sucked.
I know Santa clara uses triggers to write their music.
Have you heard of anyone close micing the quints?
Maybe five clip on akg418s?

Yes, I noticed the sound was better this year for DCI. I'll have to see what changed. I have some DVDs from 2 years that I was in it, but I didn't know much about sound recording then. The DVDs get better and better. The camera work this year was the best I've ever seen.

I would think if you wanted to close mic quints you could just do 2 dynamics over the drums at two or three feet away. Otherwise it might sound like a drumset, unless that's what you're after. I'd put them just over the inside of the outer 2 drums. That should balance everything in stereo with the 6" gock (spelling?) drum in the middle.

That was quite an experience. I got to meet every one of the drummers involved and made a scrap book. I still maintain a good friendship with Simon (and occasionally talk to Dave) to this very day.

Last edited:
Back