Pedals

-Julian

Ok, well I am an experimental player, little on the hard side, not to much. I am in a band, and the sound were going for is Experimental/Post Hardcore/Indie, and we like to switch alot. So anyways, I would like to know any insite for pedals to use with my Epiphone SG, Marshall amp, to get some nice, unusual effects. We sound like Circa Survive, Soasin, so if anyone knows them and how they sound, and knows good pedals to achieve that sound, it will greatly appreciated. O and any good sustainer pedals anyone knows of? And has anyone used that Ibanez TS808 screamer pedal?

Sounds like you're looking for a combination pedal - Digitech has a bunch that go from soup to nuts. I have one and it drives me crazy - I think I'm really a "one switch" tubey kind of player - but if you want to experiment and have a wide palette of sounds to work with, a Digitech pedal sounds like a reasonable way to approach it.

THe big question that you have to figure out is which way you want to go: all-in-one VS. many pedals. All-in-ones are nice because you don't have to F around with routing and power supply and trying to stomp 3 at a time. Plus separate FX loops and such. However, all-in-one pedals often limit your creativity, especially when you don't have full control over the ORDER of effects. That creativity is why I myself have gone the way of a lot of pedals. I want a unique sound, which one can't get from a modeller, by definition.

If you really want to be obscure and unique, build your own pedals. I do:

www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum
www.generalguitargadgets.com

It's nice to be able to build pedals that are not comercially available, if you want to have a unique setup. That's why I built the Uglyface:

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html (about 3/4 of the way down)

Other than that, general comments on all-in-ones (just my opinion):

POD - best modeled distortion out there. Other effects are sketchy, not that great. POD xt is way better than POD 2.0.

Digitech GNX Series - not the best-sounding distortions, but great for other effects like reverbs, delays, modulation, flanging, pitch-shifting, etc.

Also check out Boss/Roland stuff.

Hope that helps.

all that circa survive uses are delays. when i spoke with their guitarist (i can't remember what his name was), he said he had 3 different delay pedals. one was a line 6 dl4, but i dont know what the others were.

as for wierd effects, look for a RFX vibroflange. i have one, and i swear to god, you can either get a decent flange out of it, or just some wierd ass noises.

Treeline said:
Sounds like you're looking for a combination pedal - Digitech has a bunch that go from soup to nuts. I have one and it drives me crazy - I think I'm really a "one switch" tubey kind of player - but if you want to experiment and have a wide palette of sounds to work with, a Digitech pedal sounds like a reasonable way to approach it.

I HATE DIGITECH! They do not have any good effects and they all sound same. Zoom foot pedals have about any soudn oyu want. I would addvise you to get zoon GFX-707

I'd never play any multi effects processor. Thats just me though. Individual pedals will cost you more, but they 1) look badass 2) offer more flexibility and 3) sound better. For weird effects, I like my Microsynth, Whammy, modulation delay, and the ZVex Ooh Wah. Delays are so much fun to play around with, and with a pedal you can change the dials as you play creating time and pitch shifts. Put a volume pedal before it to create neat swells that do not die when you turn the volume down. The EH microsynth is pretty awesome too. If you want almost unusable strangeness, try a ring modulator. EH makes one of those too, the frequency analyzer. I have one and its pretty funky. I also second the making your own pedal things, but if you want really strange sounds, its not extremely easy to do that by yourself. Distortions, choruses and phasers may not be too difficult however. The neat thing about making pedals is that you can modify them to fit your needs. Like changing the clipping type, changing the overall base tone, yadda yadda.
Rory

I have always thought that individual effects sound better than multi effects units. Plus, you don't have to fool with the endless menu programing.

Both Digitech and Zoom are junk. However, either of these will fit the bill and be much cheaper than buying individual pedals. Don't forget that Boss makes some of these all-in-one units.

Check out the Line 6 DM4 multi distortion stomp box (it's the gold one). It's got just about every major pedal and sound in there, no effects, just distortion. Nice and simple with huge capabilites.

Hey thanx guys, and to answer your guestion, yea i already knew i wanted alot of pedals, should of stated that. I was looking around at the Digi tech stuff, but i decided to get diffrent other sounds i was going to go with alot of pedals. ANd that was very intresting building ur own pedals, ty guys. Though my main question that i guess didnt state very well were wut pedals (names not brands) are unique sounds because i have no idea what name purtains to what the pedal sound like, if that makes sense. other than that ty.

Hey that last post i did b4 this was late, lol it posted later and at the wrong time, but i meant it to be alot more up the thread, anyways, U guys had great comments, TY all, really appreciate it. O and Ty, sry not sure wut ur name was, but had inside info about circa survive, Thanx so much, that helped alot. u guys gave me great answers, yea i was never planning opn the digitech all multi pedals, but ty anyways.

What about a whammy pedal? great effect that does a lot of different stuff. you could also take a look at some of the Dano stuff (not the little thingys...the larger ones) like the Sitar. What about a talk box?

Jacob

Back