Pedal Choice

I was using the OCD as a clean boost when I was playing yesterday evening before going out. Its very, very loud and won't actually clean up. With the level up full you end up with quite a lot of gain even on the clean channel with the drive on 0.

It sounds bloody good though on both the clean channel and the gain channel. The drawback is that it doesn't work at all well when you nudge the gain up and is very very loud so you end up with a huge differential in volume when you use it.

I was using the OCD as a clean boost when I was playing yesterday evening before going out. Its very, very loud and won't actually clean up. With the level up full you end up with quite a lot of gain even on the clean channel with the drive on 0.

It sounds bloody good though on both the clean channel and the gain channel. The drawback is that it doesn't work at all well when you nudge the gain up and is very very loud so you end up with a huge differential in volume when you use it.
Well, the thing seems to have minimum gain (with level all the way up) around 50, or about 33db, so it's no surprise that it's very loud and difficult to keep clean. The maximum peak-to-peak input voltage with any chance of coming out completely clean is around 70mV, which is pretty low even for the sustain portion of most passive guitars. The maximum output (regardless of pot settings) could be up to 8V p2p, except the opamp probably clips closer to 7 or 7.5. That's REALLY BIG for the input of most guitar amps, and when you consider that it pretty much has to be clipped off, the RMS/average voltage (read loudness) is even larger than if you had a clean 7V p2p signal.

TL;DR - it's damn near impossible to get anything truly clean out of that thing, and if you don't also want distortion from whatever comes after it, you should probably turn down the Level knob a bit.

Cheers, it might be useful for recording with this set up (in fact ill post some tones at the weekend ) but it wouldn't be useful live.

Quick question for you as you appear to know what you're talking about. Is there a such thing as too much with this technique. Do you risk damaging your amp if you boost your level too much? Like by, say, using a OCD for your boost and then sticking an SD1 on top of it for solos.

The short answer is "No."

The components in your amp are almost certainly spec'd to handle anything a 9V pedal could throw at them without letting out their smoke. It could very well sound like it's dying, but it won't do any permanent damage.

It is theoretically possible if you're already pushing your power tubes and speaker cones to the edge of destruction that a really big input might be enough to push them over, but I'd say it's very unlikely. Power tubes usually go bad over a period of time, and the speakers will probably tell you that their in distress before they actually tear themselves apart or burn out. And anyway, once the tubes sdistort, their output doesn't really get any bigger no matter how much bigger the input tries to get. That's what distortion is.

All that said, putting a DS after an OCD can really only reduce the peak-to-peak output. It's made to clip to about 2V. So your RMS gets even closer to your P2P, you get much closer to square/rectangle waves, but the peak level is pretty severely reduced. Depending on amp settings, it might actually "clean up" some when you step on that pedal.

And no, the OCD probably won't actually hurt the DS either unless there's already something wrong with one of them.

Back