pedal board power brick for moogerfooger pedals?

blindmelon

I've been searching for weeks for a power supply (brick) for my pedal board that will power multiple moogerfooger pedals. One minor catch with them is that they take the standard barrel connector, but it is inverted, such that the interior "contact" is positive which is opposite the industry "norm"....but this seems relatively easy to deal with using an inverted cable that swaps the connection within the cable.

So, the only real challenge is that the pedals draw a large amount of current - anywhere from 100 mA (MF101) to 400 mA (MF104Z). I have found that most output isolating power bricks like the voodoo labs thing do not provide any (or enough) high current outputs (at 9V). I finally ran across the Pedal Pad Power Pad II - where it has 8 (9V) outputs (not isolated from each other), and 1660 mA of output that can be split across those outputs in any way. Sounded like a match for me. So, I got this thing with inverted cables and it powers up the moogerfoogers (3 in all), but two of the pedals (MF101 and MF102) exhibit a high pitched pure tone of some sort in the audio path - maybe around 3 kHz. I'm guessing that is due to the non-isolated nature of the power supply. So, I'm back to a frustrating square one.

The "One Spot" power supply appears to work, as long as there is only one moogerfooger per one spot power supply used. Not very useful, seeing how I already have that with the standard wall warts that shipped with the moogerfoogers.

In the end, I can fall back to using a power strip attached to my pedal board, but just wanted to post this in case anyone has any better ideas or experience....seems like a waste to have so many AC/DC converters on my board adding weight and bulk.

the Pedal Pad Power Pad II is a switching power supply, that, according to their website "this power supply cycles so far above the range of human hearing that ripple-based buzz (60 cycle hum) is eliminated."

Switching power supplies can introduce electrical harmonics into the circuit...I wonder if that has anything to do with what you're hearing.

In the long run it's just cheaper and easier to buy more of those cheesey power strips.

I've got a bunch of Moog wall-wart stuff and it's a PITA from that angle.

Back