Peculiarities of the Audiophile 2496

pchorman

Since I installed the Audiophile card a few weeks ago:

1. Winamp's balance control has been disabled. I must go through the Monitor Mixer to accomplish any balance adjustments.

2. MIDI sounds are deactivated on most (maybe all) applications. I configure these applications (such as Guitarpro) to play MIDI through the Audiophile but it doesn't work. To get around this I have to plug the computer speakers back into the old SB soundcard, which was left in the computer in fear of problems like this, and switch back and forth between the cards through Control Panel Multimedia.

Can anyone kindly offer some guidance on fixing these quirks? I'm getting tired of having to work around them.
Thanks

1. This is normal. There might be some kind of workaround, a fader on a mixer is just as easy though.

2. This is also normal if your midi sounds are supposed to be generated from the SB and not some external module. The audiophile does not have any ROM samples on it to playback. Unless there is a way to route the signal from the SB to the audiophile, your stuck switching cables around.

If your using some multitrack software, it's possible then you could configure the SB for it's onboard sample playback, and the audiophile for wav audio.

A mixer would be an easy solution. Plug the output from the SB into one channel, and output from the audiophile into another.

Not sure if that is what you mean.

No idea about #1. My Winamp balance works fine.

Re. #2: First, I'm not sure if I'm understanding what you're saying but: there is no internal synth in the Audiophile, so you won't get any midi sound out of it. If you want to use sound fonts or the onboard synth you'll have to continue to do what you're doing, or get a mixer to mix both out puts to the same set of speakers.

Thanks for the prompt replies. I thought there was on-board synth capability since the Delta AP appeared as an output option under MIDI setup for some of my applications, such as Guitarpro. That is very misleading, and strange.

It is not misleading and strange, it's perfectly normal. There are MIDI synths and MIDI interfaces. The Audiophile has the latter, but not the former. Pretty much only consumer soundcards have MIDI synths on board.

If the program your running can use softsynths you can use that to play back your midi sounds.I use Home Studio 2002 and I run it through the VSC(?) soft synth and it sounds much better than my Soundblaster did.

I'm a total midiot but hopefully I will slowly inch my way to learning at least the basics.I think they list Delta AP as a midi out option so you could route it back to your hardware synth and play your midi through it.Not sure though.As I said I'm a midiot!:D

Back