Peavey head self-cab wiring mad man getting worse over here. Help please!

Elison

Alrighty, to begin I have owned a peavey classic chorus 130 for 9+years and although not the best it is a ROCK. So I decided to get a peavey supreme head. It has two outputs on the back and calls for a 16 ohm minimum load. In the classic chorus, there are two 8ohm speakers inside. I have removed the amp from the 130, set the new head on top, and now I have wired the two old speakers separately to individual 1/4" jacks. I then run speaker cable from each jack into the two outputs of the new peavey head. It has worked great. However.

I've heard if the amp sounds too good to be true, it must mean there isn't enough resistance. (Not enough ohms) so am I operating at 16 ohm or 4 ohm? Also, purchased some 16 gauge speaker cable and both have stopped working completely. I've got one 3"monster cable and a regular guitar cable and I am getting a kick ass sound.

This is my first head/cab wiring experience and although I was beginning to think I've got it, I'm pulling my hair out worrying if I am setting my head up for an early demise somewhere in the studio or on stage. Any help is accepted and ALL help is needed!

Glad you got your question answered. I just wanted to let you know that if you have any more questions specifically about your Peavey amps that www.peavey.com has a forum with great people who are willing to help.

The later Peavey solid state amp heads have a switch that allows you to select the cabinet impedance. I have never heard of a 16ohm minimum load on a solid state head. Generally the lower the speaker load, the great the available watts in amp power. Most Peavey amps ever made were designed to run at 2ohm loads. Now tube amps have to match the impedance specified on the amp.

Back