Peavey Basic 112

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
A friend of mine lent me his bass amp, rather stored it here for the time being, but expressly said I had permission to use it in my home recording endeavors. So yesterday I was wankin away on it for about an hour when all of a sudden I hear a clearly audible "POP!"...and then the amp goes dead. I unplugged it right away, and checked for smoke heat, or smelly burnt stuff. It appears to be alright. I plug it in and it is still dead...no power, no sound. An hour later I come back and it fires right up.

Uh, whats going on ? :D

And, is this a common thing with these amps?

Could be a component that is faulty that only fails when overheated. More likely the amp has a thermistor on the output's heat sink that shuts down the thing at a certain temperature. Iwas looking at a friend's Peavey Renown the other day, it has what looks like a thermistor on the output section. Either way, it might take a little while for it to cool down long enuf to reset. Were you pushing the thing pretty hard (loud) or have an external speaker hooked up? If so, it might be pretty normal for it to do that. Try emailing Peavey's customer support, see if they can give you a more educated answer.

Thanks Major Tom,

I was actually playing it pretty loud through headphones. In fact I had to keep turning it louder so I could hear it! I think this amp is actually about 5 years old. Not really old I guess, and its been hardly used either. I will try emailing Peavey.

Well, loud thru the headphones is a different thing - not much of a load, If the speaker wasn't engaged that shouldn't overheat the output unless there is a problem in the amp...

Back