Peavey 520i on kick drum

SteveMcB

Just some guy from NZ
I know from searching that there are a few people out there who have tried the Peavey 520i on kick, notably chessparov and beezoboy. Just wondering if anyone has any specific tips on using this mic on kick, as I'm approaching a drum session for an album I'm recording, and aside from condensors and sm57's, this is the only kick mic available. Any tips on positioning, eq tips etc from those who've used it?

Thanks,
Steve

Wish I could help you directly Steve, however, I'm "just" a singer.
If you go to www.prorec.com there's an article named "True Love"
that talks about the PVM 520i. The writer has had experience with
that microphone, so perhaps if you contact him you'll get the info
you want.

Chris

Well. . . for rock I think mic works very well. This mics seems to be very easy to get a "click" with. It can be difficult to get a good thump with this mic if the bass drum is not "thumpy." Although, I have had several bass drums I just stuck it in and it worked without any ok whatsoever.

With this mic I would say there is a good chance you are going to get what you hear. So listen close and make sure the bass drum sounds like you envision it in the first place. Luckily, I haven't really had a bass drum that I couldn't use this mic on. I have had to double mic the bass drum to get that thump.

As far as placement. I stick it in about 1 - 3 inches and point it where the beater hits.

Beez

Thanks guys!
Chessparov - I'm also planning to try this out on a "reedy" male vocalist - see if the proximity effect fattens him up a bit, so vocal experience with this mic is also valueable to me! I have read the prorec article, in fact I bought the mic on the basis of that article and a very brief test. For the price ($70 US with stand) I couldn't pass it up. (Bear in mind we pay way overinflated prices for everything musical here)
Beezoboy - thanks for the input!

Steve

I have one and I like it so far but I haven't done an awful lot with it. Just listen to the drum and move it around some if you need to. Let us know how it turns out!

Back