Peavey 5150 and 6505

mx_mx

Are these the exact same amps with a different name, or were there new features added to the 6505. Just wondering, to see if it's worth my while to find a used 5150, instead of forking out for a new 6505. Thanks.

Friend had a 5150 and I was thinking about buying it from him. It was an OK amp, but I dithered too long and someone else got it.

There's someone selling it in the trading post for 2000 bucks neg. With the cab, in excellent condition.

I think the difference is that the 5150-II had a seperate EQ for the rhythm channel and it had a better clean sound. Some people prefer the original 5150 because they say the distortion is better. I have never compared the two so I don't know.

I think I saw in the specs that the mk ll has an extra tube too...does that make much of a difference to the sound? Im a mega newbie to toobs...

Just like King Diamond said.
The Mk II has 3 channels (Rhythm Clean/Crunch, and Lead), a seperate EQ for the rhythm and lead channels, and a better clean sound. Some people say that the Mk 1 has a warmer tone, but I've never heard that myself.
Yes, the Mk II has 6 pre-amp tubes instead of 5. I think the MK II will get down at lower volumes a little better than a Mk1. At high volumes I don't think there is a noticable difference in the tone. For all these reasons I prefer the MK II.

I've been told that there is no difference between the EVH block and signature models other than a copyright problem with Electro-Voice. I've played through both and have to say that the block letter heads shine everytime. I personally own a first year block letter that I added an adjustable bias mod to. I won't part with this head no matter how much I'm offered. The power and tone are amazing. It is also a proven road warrior, with the only services being tube changes, and cleaning of the effects loop jacks, which happens to be a very common cause of strange behavior in the 5150. I didn't care much for the 5150II but did find the clean sound to be a little 'rounder'.

Back