Pearl Export

Bdrum

I got a Export kit in the late eighties.
Does anybody know what wood it is?
I was told it was Basswood and poss. Mahagony?
I'm recording with it until I get a new Masters Custom. :o

Basswood

Thanks!, Is it at all decent for recording?
I haven't had any trouble except with my 418 on my 12"
tom.It seems too pick up the shell ring pretty good :)

Depends on the sound you like. Basswood projects quite brightly (More so cosidering that it is actually one of the softer american hardwoods). Overtones are a problem with Basswood, it resonates extensively, due to it's relatively low density (which makes it an easy wood to bend and glue, hence a favored drum wood). If you want a serious recording drum, Mahogany is the way to go: Nice and warm, dense with very little overtone. I found with recording my old Exports that taking the bottom heads off helped dramatically. By reducing pressure, resonance in the shell will dramatically be reduced.

Overtones

Thank you!
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for!
I have a very "Dry Room".12'x14' old barn style room.
4"Back wall of compressed insulation and 1/2 sides and 2" front.I would have to draw it up for a better graffic. :)
The Ambiance is Awesome! I can hear everything!
In a controlled room like this, would I need a different drum?

Atterion said:
Overtones are a problem with Basswood, it resonates extensively, due to it's relatively low density. I found with recording my old Exports that taking the bottom heads off helped dramatically. By reducing pressure, resonance in the shell will dramatically be reduced.

Bdrum - have you noticed problems with overtones? Especially on big floor toms?

Again matter of preference. The way you describe the situation now, you seem to be fairly satisfied. My moto: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Would you get even better results with the Masters? Of course!!!
As a matter of getting the exports to sound better, there are all manners of options. You can try different heads and/or muffling techniques. Tuning is extremely important, especially if you like that nice open ringing tone, you can try dialing it in (If you like a real dead sounding drum, tuning isn't as critical, but still worth getting right). Obviously mic placement is a huge consideration. You can even try placing the drumset at different angles in the room, and applying additional sound treatments as necessary (But I find this to be overkill mostly, as I tend to like a room with a good live feel, which it sounds as though you have).
You might be best to find some local drummers, with various kits, that might be willing to come in and lay down a track or two. Then you could A/B the tracks to see which drums sound good. Some rooms sound great with some, and trashy with others (or even the same drums, but tuned differently, especially in the snare department).
Hopes this helps somewhat. Trial and Error my friend!!!

Back