Pearl© or Mapex© Drums?

PGSOR Drummer

Hey guys, I was wondering what you all would reccomend for getting a new drumset. I was looking at a nice Pearl Brand Drumset, and I saw a Blue Mapex Set as well. I liked both, and tried them out. The Pearl has 3 Rack Toms, Double Pedal, 2 Floor Toms, Crash 18", Ride 24", Hi-Hat 12", 14" Snare with free Moon Jelly, and a Bass Drum 32". Now the Mapex looks nice too. 2 Rack Toms, 1 Floor Tom, 2 Crash 14" and 16", Ride 24", Hi-Hat 14", Splash 6", and Double pedal. All equipment is included for both. Pearl is $3,449.50 and Mapex is only $2,999.99. Both seem good, but I personallty like the Mapex, because of the 2 Crash and Slpash Cymbals. Tell me what you guys think!

Last edited:
You didn't provide the color of the Pearl kit, and that's very important, so I'm gonna say go with the blue. Who cares about the rest?

The color of the Pearl is actually Customizable. You can buy White, Blue, Black, or Red. But I still like the Mapex Kit. Not about color, but about the sound and size of it. I also like that when you hit the toms, they throw back your sticks and that lets you skip to the next Tom very easily.

The color of the Pearl is actually Customizable. You can buy White, Blue, Black, or Red. But I still like the Mapex Kit. Not about color, but about the sound and size of it. I also like that when you hit the toms, they throw back your sticks and that lets you skip to the next Tom very easily.

"What are they made of" should be the BIGGEST question. You say that they are "customizable", does that mean a wrap, paint or stain?????? If it means wrap, then that more than likely means poplar wood, which means entry-to-mid-level shells. As far as the "throwing back your sticks" issue, that is all in the tunning and type of heads on the shell as well as how you hold your sticks.:cool:
Absolutely go with the ones that sound the best to YOU, but be aware of what you actually comparing. Hardware is another MAJOR factor when shopping........good luck.:D

Lol.........

I also like that when you hit the toms, they throw back your sticks and that lets you skip to the next Tom very easily.

And if you use 7A's with nylon tips, you can actually let go of the stick and will go to the next tom for you. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Jordan's looking for a drummer. :p

(32" bass drum!!!! :eek: Stop it, man you're killing me :D :D :D )

No, I didn't exactly mean "Customizable," I actually just meant that you get to choose what color to buy. Therefore by saying, "You can buy red, blue, black, etc..." I made my statment easily understandable.

Yeah, well thats why I like the sound. The way it sounds when you play a running beat w/ the double pedal makes it sound like, well, GRENADES!

okay, c'mon man. Seriously, it has a good sound and is great for having enough room to fit 3 rack toms. . . please man, stop bieng mean. You sound childish.

How deep is that 32" kick?
It understands Sartre.
silly.gif

And if you use 7A's with nylon tips, you can actually let go of the stick and will go to the next tom for you. :rolleyes:

I wonder if Jordan's looking for a drummer. :p

(32" bass drum!!!! :eek: Stop it, man you're killing me :D :D :D )

hey don't knock it if you haven't tried it. anyone with any knowledge knows that mapex drums have tighter heads. one time i was playing 'moby dick' and punched myself in the face. that's why i switched to tamas. :D

hey don't knock it if you haven't tried it. anyone with any knowledge knows that mapex drums have tighter heads. one time i was playing 'moby dick' and punched myself in the face. that's why i switched to tamas. :D

It's true. I play Mapex drums and I have to wear a goalie mask to keep from knocking my teeth out from all the toms throwing the sticks back at me.

It's true. I play Mapex drums and I have to wear a goalie mask to keep from knocking my teeth out from all the toms throwing the sticks back at me.

i guess if we had master control a la PGSOR, we could harness that energy to our advantage. i get so jealous of drummers like him. :mad:

Hands down, one of the best posts EVER here. This is sig worthy.

Back