PDP x7

BlackHawk2029

any experience? looking for a 7 piece that wont break the bank. i realize they're all poplar shells, but so are exports and i tend to really like the tone of the exports, especially the kick drums. you guys think they'd be ok with some good heads?

awesome. i have until june to figure this out but i want to start gathering my options. and letting students play dw's and settling for x7s? that dude has a kiiiind soul. and i think i want him to teach me. lol.

I don't think they're worth the money, being too expensive to class 'budget', and not good enough quality to class 'good', so I'd spend less on a first kit, and more on a pro-standard kit.

This teacher who plays them probably gets a good sound by being a VERY good drummer, you or I would likely struggle to get any kind of acceptable sound. Is there any reason you particularly want a 7 piece? You could spend the same on a better quality 4 or 5 piece and add more drums individually...

many of the fills i do are melodic, based on the range of a 7 piece, not to mention being used to the setup.

on the sound note, i've gotten pearl forum (their lowest line) to sound absolutely beautiful. it's all in heads and tuning, and tuning is one thing i do very well.

I completely agree, but I haven't heard a single PDP kit I've liked. It may be, of course, that the people I've heard playing them are coincidentally all rubbish at tuning their kits, but I prefer the sound of the cheaper Pearl stuff I've heard - Just my opinion of course.

well, i've played with the fs series kits and they're great as long as they're well tuned, but a bit out of my price range.

actually a lot of cheaper kits sound great when they're tuned well. pearl forums, the ddrum diablo kits, the cheaper ludwig accents. it's all in what heads you put on 'em and tune 'em up.

Last edited:
I recently recorded a drummer than had a PDP X7 kit. He had all new Evans heads and the kit was tuned up really well. All Zildjian K cymbals. Sounded pretty damn good.

I've got another guy coming in pretty soon that has a Walnut ddrum. The one that's like 3 or 4 grand just for the shells. I've heard that kit before at his place and it sounded HUGE and DEEP! Can't wait to record it.

yeah i'll be building myself a custom kit once i've got the x7's. either keller maple shells or i'll be building stave shells. not sure yet, but i'm bettin some bubinga veneers would look great on 'em....

well i got a chance to play some x7's with good heads today... and for being poplar they sound stunning! nice and crisp, but with good definition and depth. The kick drum is a monster on its own and will push your lungs up to your throat. I wasn't crazy about the snare though, but i've already got my personal favorite.

Back