PCI vs. USB?

freeztar

Which is better, USB or PCI? Ok, I know it probably depends on lots of stuff, but what I'm looking for here is some input from experience or specs. In other words, would I be losing anything if I went with USB. All my recording experience thus far has been with PCI cards. My new computer has only 2 empty PCI slots and 8 USB ports. With this setup, I would prefer to go with the USB option, but I don't want to sacrifice things like speed, latency, or quality. Any suggestions?

Well, I'm not a fan of USB devices because the USB interface is not really designed for high bandwidth/time critical applications but a lot of people seem to be able to work just fine with USB interfaces so I guess they work.
But you'll be limited when it comes to the amount of simultaneous tracks you'll be able to record/playback. The M-Audio USB Audiophile for instance lets you record 4 tracks but at the same time can only play back 2. All because of bandwidth limitations. USB 2 devices have yet to hit the market (if they ever will).

If you'll only use it on your studio, you're better off with a PCI soundcard.

Also try the search option. Already a LOT has been said about this subject.

If you're using a laptop and need portability then usb is the way to go.

If you don't want to sacrifice things like speed, latency, or quality, go PCI.

Bulls Hit said:
If you're using a laptop and need portability then usb is the way to go.

No, USB is not the way to go. A PC-Card interface would still be a better choice. All laptops still have PC-Card slots.

brzilian said:
No, USB is not the way to go. A PC-Card interface would still be a better choice. All laptops still have PC-Card slots.

True, but they're generally pretty expensive compared with what you can get USB-wise

pc card slots...
what type of sound card could u use in one of those slots? I take it the delta 44 cannot be fitted into a laptop?

The USB ports all share a single bus, so you can't plug 8 USB units in and expect to have parallel operation for lots of channels. Virtually all USB units available right now are using USB 1.1 which means that you max out at just a couple of channels. If you get one USB device now, you can't count on just buying another one in the future and having it work together.

The PCI bus has a LOT more bandwidth available, which is why you can get cards that support 24 channels at 24 bit and 96 kHz. You also have a good chance of getting an additional interface later and having it work fine. For example, I have 2 Aardvark interfaces in my computer and it works solidly.

-lee-

-lee-

if you're lookin at USB, i'd steer you towards firewire instead. much higher b/w there. however, i would far prefer a PCMCIA solution to either. all depends on your budget and needs.

HOWEVER, since this is obviously a desktop machine and not a laptop, i'd go with PCI and forget everything else.....unless you have to have the portability.

wade

There is a USB 2.0 audio interface out there - Edirol, maybe? 2.0 is pretty fast.

But the scoop is that even then, you're sharing the bandwidth with your other USB devices. FiWi will probably make you happier. Or maybe that Indigo thing.

Daf

Back