PCI interface versus USB interface?

kr236rk

Hi,

Have been using a usb interface for guitar, mic and other instruments. Trouble is, the interface has all its controls as little knobs on it to turn & adjust. This is sometimes awkward when the interface is positioned away from the pc.

Is there a PCI interface that will give me a control window on my pc monitor instead please? I quite like the idea of plugging an interface into the mobo - with a breakout box or cables. But could I control it through the computer though?

Thanks,

Ric

If you have the $, consider RME Fireface range... there basically are no knobs, it's all done in the box by the interface software.

They're USB / Firewire, not PCI, so I haven't really answered your question.. but someone who knows more about this stuff than me will wander along shortly, I'm sure.

I was expecting to hate not having knobs to play with, but it really doesn't bother me...

Cool. I like twiddling the knobs but I get Electro Magnetic Interferance [EMI] so the knobs are sometimes out of reach. You can see the problem? So it would be much easier for me to control recording levels through the pc.

Back