PC software suggestions

Roger Mac

Alrighty. This is probaly the millionth time this question has come up.

It's a PC based system. I'm covered for harware (I think). Trying to decide on software to use for recording. So far I'm looking at CW Home Studio 2004 XL or Steinberg's Cubase SE Hybrid.

The price is the same ($100-$150) so not an issue. I know Cubase gives me an upgrade path (SL/SX).

Any differences/opinions/facts I should know about? My biggest concern is quality (guess that goes without saying).

Thanks guys.

The quality (audiowise) is in your hardware primarily.
The software you choose should be based on the reputation of the product, its capabilities, plug ins, track count, ease of use, etc...
Also consider your interface, as some offer software-hardware combos.
Look for the best AD/DA converters you can afford if your looking for quality and perhaps read up on the software options.
Cakewalk and Cubase are widely used and have earned a good rep.
The high end software will give you better plugs, more options, more stability,, but can be harder to learn.
Logic Audio for example, is a tuff program to master but definantly reliable.

Hey St. Thanks for responding.

I'll be using a Lynx L22 PCI audio card as the interface. That gives me 24-bit/200kHz and is supposed to be "quite".

I'm looking for reviews or comments on the software but so far the sites I've found just list the same material that is found on the manufacturers web site.

HS2004 sounds easier to use out of the box but I assume that Cubase SE has more and "better" options.

I don't need a lot right now. As long as I can record into a few separate tracks (one at a time), and then pick and choose some of those tracks to play while recording into another new track I figure I'm doing pretty good. Reverb, compression, etc. (in multiple tracks??) is a definite plus if not required.

The hope is to be able to cut and paste sections of the same instrument/vocals from multiple takes/tracks to get one final track of perfection for each instrument. :) Then mix down the various instruments into one glorious product. :)

Thanks for all input.

my recommendations

ive tried them all. before spending a LOT of money.
try these - all under 100 bucks. talk to happy users on the respective forums if you think i'm lying for some reason.
n track fasoft.com
powertracks pgmusic.com version 9 just came out. 29 bucks !
does everything anyone would want to do in a song.
tremendous midi features as well as 48 audio tracks plus a ton of effects.
now dxi synths are implemented i believe. even does 24 bit.
magix audio studio. magix.de. too many features to list.
just try it and love it.
multitrackstudio.com - once again a huge value for money multitracker.
i have found it to be highly stable.
tracktion from rawmaterialsoftware.
or for free - how can you beat for free audacity. or krystal from kreatives.org
i'm very impressed with all the above. just try the demoes and
see which one suites your needs. they will all produce great results. imho.

Roger Mac said:
Hey St. Thanks for responding.

I'll be using a Lynx L22 PCI audio card as the interface.
Excellent Choice
I've been using one for a little over a year now....no problemos

Back