PC questions

Tranko

I have a custom built PC with the audigy 2 platinum sound card. Is it wise to hook up and amp with my set of event studio monitors. Also what Audio programs are compatible with this sound card and do i need an external mixer. Was it correct to get the sound card installed or would it have been better with out it since it does have the input for the instruments. I want to start recording music through my computer I'm really digging this PC stuff but I dont want to get rid of all my other gear, to much money invested.

what Audio programs are compatible with this sound card and do i need an external mixer.
--------------------------
the card should handle any Win audio software appl given your OS config...

a hardware mixer will help if you plan on recording multi miced/input sources.

the card you have comes with creative's soft mixer...

amp question? donno what you mean...

list your "other" gear.

creative's not real great at recording (bit rate) but play back is said to be good, it should suffice imho...

depends on your preferances really, delta makes good sound cards, do a search, top right of the page...

Your questions are somewhat vague, but I'll do my best.

First off, if you mean you want to go from your Audigy to an amp, by all means, do it. But your Audigy WILL NOT power large speakers by themselves. I just go into my home stereo with 5.1 surround. The online manual explains how to do this.

Second, you don't necessarily need a mixer, but I ended up getting one just for greater flexibility.

One good thing about the Audigy is that the Mic\Line 1 and the Mic\Line 2 are both stereo. With the right cables you can put an instrument on each channel. I also have an effects processor with SPDIF out, so I just plug that directly into the Audigy. That gives me a total of 8 inputs...6 analog and two digital.

Lastly, the Audigy came with Cubasis VST. I absolutely LOATHED that program. It was confusing and hard to use.

However, I love Cubase SX. It's expensive though.
More money = More user-friendly. It also supports 5.1 surround audio. Movie soundtracks, anyone?

I've tried Cool Edit Pro 2.0, but don't like it. I'm somewhat simple-minded when it comes to computers, and some programs just confuse me.

Other than that, I would ask around about programs. A lot of people seem to love Sound Forge. Maybe I'll have to check that out...

The cubase program it came with, is very confusing that is why I am asking around for other programs. Is protools for xp any good they say it is not as good as the mac? And besides if I get the program without buying it, is it any good without the mixer it comes with? Besides protools, if I do get a mixer how do I connect it to the sound card so that I can get each input on to each channel on the screen using any program? This computer stuff is kind of confusing not like analog plug in and record....

Beyond said:
However, I love Cubase SX. It's expensive though.
More money = More user-friendly. It also supports 5.1 surround audio. Movie soundtracks, anyone?

It takes a little more to mix 5.1 than software (professionally):

http://www.dolby.com/tech/trrecord.html

As far as software goes, I found Cakewalk products to be the easiest to learn and most intuitive.

Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 would be a good start and you could always upgrade to Sonar at a later time if you need more.

Back