PC or Mac

Zona Mona

I am about to get a notebook for college and can spend about $1200-$1400. I was thinking about geting a powerbook G4 but then I wasn't sure if a Mac or PC would be better for both recording and my school work (but mainly recording) Can I get direct X stuff on a mac? Any thoughts either way would be helpful. Thanks

I should add that right now I have a tascam US-244 USB thing but plan on getting (eventually) a mackie onyx mixer with firewire

This is a dangerous thread to be starting... if you search past threads you'll see that this debate is as old as time itself.

just a suggestion, dont use your recording computer for anything other than recording... and DONT connect it to the internet... thats dangerous

Zona Mona said:
I am about to get a notebook for college and can spend about $1200-$1400. I was thinking about geting a powerbook G4 but then I wasn't sure if a Mac or PC would be better for both recording and my school work (but mainly recording) Can I get direct X stuff on a mac? Any thoughts either way would be helpful. Thanks
As far as I know, you won't be able to use DirectX plugins on the mac, as DirectX is a Microsoft invention designed specifically for a Windows environment.

This used to be a no-brainer question, since macs stomped all over pc's for multimedia stuff. In the last few years, however, this has all changed. The open hardware architecture of PC's, along with huge advances in Windows support for multimedia devices, huge advances in stability, and huge improvement in PC recording software, the gap has either closed or the teams have switched sides...depending on who you ask.

But I will also second borntoplease in saying that if you plan on doing any of this recording anything like seriously do not plan on using the computer for both recording and school/other things. While stability is better than it used to be, multimedia systems are far more fragile and prone to conflicts, resource shorttages, and other general breakage than other applications are.

I make music on this very computer that I'm sending this post on. I know plenty of you say that you should not surf the net and such and such on the same computer you create music on, but just like the Mac vs PC issue this is just something else that we should just let die. You can use the same computer to make music on and do anything else you want to do on that system as long as you maintain it properly.

www.underworldinfo.net

I've used PC for my whole life and havent had any problems so far. ProducerBigC is correct- as long as you maintain your system, it works.. :rolleyes:

borntoplease said:
just a suggestion, dont use your recording computer for anything other than recording... and DONT connect it to the internet... thats dangerous

whether you're talking Mac or Windows, this post simply isn't true, provided the user has a clue, and be smart enough to update virus/spyware definitions, and run a decent firewall.

Even a Mac is vulnerable if you don't use a firewall.

I'd like a Mac, and would like to get one when I can afford it. But I still happily do audio and play games and surf the net on my main computer and laptop.

Mac vs. PC? Pick the main audio app you're going to use, and if it's dual platform, do a bit a research to see what side it seems more stable for. If it's only on one platform, i.e. Sonar for Win or Logic for Mac, then you've already made your decision.

Thanks
However i was afraid that this would be one of those opinion things, just seeing if there were any cold hard facts about one's advantages over the other

Zona Mona said:
...just seeing if there were any cold hard facts about one's advantages over the other
The only real advantage is that you can invariably put your own x86 box together for cheaper than you could buy a Mac. Beyond that it's mostly assholes...I mean opinions.

Back