pc or daw?

randemar

the korg d1200 for $995 looks tough to beat. all inclusive and i don't have to mess with my pc. any tips, suggestions, words of wisdom? i'm mainly looking to record my singer/songwriter son. mostly vocal, acoustic guitar and harmonica.

my pc is a sony vaio, 1.3 ghz pentium 4, 128mb ram, 60gig drive and analog devices soundMAX integrated digital audio. by the time i upgrade the memory to 512mb, add a 24 bit sound card and a decent mixer i'd be close to $500. am i missing anything (already have akg c1000, c3000b, and various shure dynamic mics.)

thx in advance for any help.

I'll go with PC !!! it's expandable, upgradeable, customizeable, larger monitor to view your work, has a help button, and will DAW bring you here to this forum whenever you have any difficulties / problem ?? PC does !!!

;)
James

Just to post some arguments in favour of a DAW (in general): Some are expandable, many are upgradable (even for free), you don't need a big monitor as most of the controls exists in reality and not only on the screen... But you can connect a monitor and a mouse to some of the more expensive ones anyway. DAWs are often more stable and they are portable. And they don't get infected by computer viruses! ;)

Forget about the Korg and get a Fostex VF160 and an adat soundcard for your computer. Less than $1000 gives you 8 channel simultaneous recording both as standalone or direct to computer. You'll get the best of both worlds.

Back