PC Drum Machine Software

TentilEight

Does anyone know of a good pc drum machine software program that works with Cakewalk or CoolEdit Pro? Preferably 24bit, I am looking for one with a good user interface that is made for non-drummers. Lots of pre-set samples etc.. Maybe a directX plugin? I don't know..

What do you mean by "24-bit"? The bit depth
must be supported by both the sound card and the software you're using. Are you talking about the samples on the virtual drum machine? You'll eventually have to transform this back to 16-bit to get it onto a CD; this is where the rubber meets the road. Have you actually heard any difference recording at a bit depth of 24 bits as opposed to 16? Can you describe the difference to those of us who don't own this stuff?

I was wondering the same thing... A software based drum machine? Do they exist??? I need something better than my Alesis HR-16b. Come on somebody...and I'm not talking Hammerhead or some other loop based crap.

[This message has been edited by S8-N (edited 08-21-1999).]

try the jammer s/w that came with the cakewalk. You can upgrade to the pro version for a minimal cost. The output can be exported to midi files.

[This message has been edited by oldbluesman (edited 08-26-1999).]

Why yes...I think I would benefit from a better understanding...
EDUCATE my ass!!!
What I want is a software based substitute for an Alesis HR16b... Something that is infinately programable which you could have a gazillion drum samples and assign them to different keys on the keyboard or a drum pad. create patterns of ungodly length and complexity, and string any number of them together into a song, while incorporating tempo changes, pitch changes, etc...
MY Alesis is about 5 or 6 years old and has a few major flaws like sucky drum samples and a tedious step editing process but in theory it is close to perfection... There is software out there emulating the TR-808... lets get to work on emulating the HR16b!!!
Pardon me if this idea is plain silly.

Why must ppl reply with things that imply "you are a fool for using 24-bit, it will have to be converted to 16-bit anyway" or "you guys need better understanding". By saying these things, have you guys really helped the problem at all? Haven't we lost sight of the problem at hand? The poor guy is just looking for a software drum machine, if we are capable of helping, why don't we just answer the guy's question? Is it really necessary to sit here and correct all the misconceptions and errors? Yes, it is important to correct ppl's mistakes, but just the same it is wasteful to digress completely off the topic without being any help *at all*.

On virtual drum machines: I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for and i'm no expert, but I used to use Fruityloops, a program that allows you to arrange samples into drum loops. But lately I've switched to simply programming the drums by using the staff view of cakewalk and using soundfonts as my source of sounds.

Good luck.

(I hope I don't get my head bitten off)

hello people, here is a program that rocks!!!
its called drums, funnily enough, you are able to recprd to a wav file which then means you can open in cool edt etc,
i have tied them all and this is teh best, just lacks a few instruments. There could be a close second, called virtual drummer, but it only works on a mac, and you cant save to wav...anyway here is the link, hope this helps http://www.guitar.sk,
now i'm not sure about all this 16/32 bit stufff, all i know this works and sounds good

Gilligan,

Have you tried Fruity Loops... that's what I use and it kicks ass!!! Your "drums" program would have to be pretty damn good to be better than Fruity Loops. You can export to wav. plus a variety of other common formats and you can also use DirectX and VST plugins... it's completely easy to use... all you have to do get some good samples and the rest in piss easy.

You can d/l the demo at www.fruityloops.com

Off the top of my head, I'd have to suggest the LM4 drum module for Cubase http://www.steinberg.net/products/ae/plugins/lm4/index.phtml?id=0303030502&sid=03196106
Hope that helps somewhat.

And for those that try and knock 24bit, think of it like hamburger (I'm hungry at the moment, so bear with me). True whatever you use will end up as hamburger but wouldn't you rather have hamburger made from ground sirloin, rather than ground cow's ass.
Meaning, you wanna start with the best quality possible before "grinding" anything down.

[This message has been edited by nodark (edited 03-29-2000).]

Holy cripes this is an OLD thread.

I use Drums! and am less and less happy with it all the time. Modifying drum sets is awkward and buggy. Moving hits around is flawed and it's very difficult to modify individual beat levels.

I used to email the author about some of these issues and he said he was working on some of them. Haven't heard anything for a few months though.

The nice thing about Drums! is the user interface. It just needs a lot of work. I wish I had bought fruity loops instead...but drums gets the job done...just takes twice as long.

Slackmaster 2000

Correction to Address and Name:

hello people, here is a program that rocks!!!
its called drums, funnily enough, you are able to recprd to a wav file which then means you can open in cool edt etc,
i have tied them all and this is teh best, just lacks a few instruments. There could be a close second, called virtual drummer, but it only works on a mac, and you cant save to wav...anyway here is the link, hope this helps http://www.guitar.sk,
now i'm not sure about all this 16/32 bit stufff, all i know this works and sounds good

Actually its called "DrumSite" and heres the correct Link : http://www.guitar.sk
http://www.guitar.sk/drums/drums_main.htm

Fruity Loops is Lame

Holy cripes this is an OLD thread.

I use Drums! and am less and less happy with it all the time. Modifying drum sets is awkward and buggy. Moving hits around is flawed and it's very difficult to modify individual beat levels.

I used to email the author about some of these issues and he said he was working on some of them. Haven't heard anything for a few months though.

The nice thing about Drums! is the user interface. It just needs a lot of work. I wish I had bought fruity loops instead...but drums gets the job done...just takes twice as long.

Slackmaster 2000

I have Fruity Loops and Never use it, Its actually pretty lame, and Totally artificial sounding, unless you wants loops for Crap, Hip Hop or R and B type music Id Suggest searching for something better.

Nine and a half years! Over ten years if you take it back to the OP. Is this a new record? Judges?

G.

And what's even funnier is SlackMaster was complaining that this was an old thread in 2000. :D

Yeah, I haven't seen one this old dredged up before. It's probably a record. Think we should start keeping track??

The%2BWABAC%2BMachine.jpg

Back