Patching reverb for monitoring

Daniel | Davis

Hello all,

Another really n00b question here. Basically what I want to do is this here under "Ways to patch a reverb into the Monitoring Chain," preferably step #3. Would it be possible to do this with a software reverb in something like Logic? Or would a hardware reverb be necessary to keep a dry signal?

Edit: gear for clarification:

My mics are going into Firepod -> all into 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook with 1GB 667 MHz DDR@ SDRAM (upgrading to 2 GB soon!) that's running Logic Express 8.
I do not own a hardware mixer (I instead use a KORG NanoKontrol control surface for now) or hardware reverb, but the answer of this thread could persuade me into investing!

Last edited:
:cool:Yo Danial Boon:

I would follow the tracks of "Blue Bear:"

"What goes IN must come out."

You can patch in hardware for a good reverb unit or go to software patches....

I almost always put "on" reverb after I record a track or tracks."

Enjoy the summer and don't wear a racoon hat in the summer.

Green Hornet:p:D

Haha, thanks for the quick reply Green Hornet! I'll try to limit the racoon hat wearage in the summer. :cool: Maybe I should extend my question a little bit. Basically, I want to use hear my voice with a touch of reverb while recording however-I want to record the dry signal. Hearing the reverb helps me smooth out the phrases, but I want the dry signal for mixing later. I tried adding a Reverb as an insert in Logic and it still recorded the reverb anyway. :(

:cool::D:eek:Yo Dan:

I don't know about "Logic." I use a Yam AW1600. If I recorded a "dry" track, I can just run my reverb when I mix the track . If I didn't like the first run, I can run several more tracks and choose the best one.

Or, I can just find the reverb when I hear the "one" I like the best.

I THINK, you can do the same thing in Logic with multiple tracks. Somebody out there should help you for sure.

You can relax on the "hats" until next November around these parts, which are parts of Michigan.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

:cool::D:eek:Yo Dan:

I don't know about "Logic." I use a Yam AW1600. If I recorded a "dry" track, I can just run my reverb when I mix the track . If I didn't like the first run, I can run several more tracks and choose the best one.

Or, I can just find the reverb when I hear the "one" I like the best.

I THINK, you can do the same thing in Logic with multiple tracks. Somebody out there should help you for sure.

You can relax on the "hats" until next November around these parts, which are parts of Michigan.

Cheers,
Green Hornet

That's cool. I may end up giving standalone multi-track recorders a try somewhere down the line, especially if I can never afford a better computer! ;)

I think I may have found a solution if I create a send to a bus on a channel strip in Logic's mixer, it creates an aux track that I can put a software reverb on and then click the Monitor button but not the record button. I can have the monitor button on both tracks (the one I'm recording and the aux track) and hear the reverb in the cans. I'm going to try it out tommorow-wish me luck!

That's cool. I may end up giving standalone multi-track recorders a try somewhere down the line, especially if I can never afford a better computer! ;)

I think I may have found a solution if I create a send to a bus on a channel strip in Logic's mixer, it creates an aux track that I can put a software reverb on and then click the Monitor button but not the record button. I can have the monitor button on both tracks (the one I'm recording and the aux track) and hear the reverb in the cans. I'm going to try it out tommorow-wish me luck!
I think you found the solution. It's what I was going to suggest...

Back