Patching Old Sonic Foundry programs to register properly

RWhite

This was probably posted here ages ago - but I figure I may as well pass my recent experiance on to those who may have missed it.

If you are using an older Sonic Foundry program, like earlier versions of Sound Forge / ACID / Vegas, you know that when registering it tries to connect to a Sonic Foundry server. Sonic Foundry is no longer forwarding these requests to Sony, they simply dont work. If you need to re-format your system or if you've just bought a new PC and want to re-install, you are screwed.

Sony has helpfully made available a patch to fix this. Install your program as usual, then follow the instructions below. - RW

From http://www.custcenter.com/cgi-bin/sonypictures.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1342

Question: I own a copy of an old Sonic Foundry branded software package. I needed to reinstall Windows on my system and now that software is making me re-activate. However, when I try to use the "Register Online" or "Register From Another Computer" options, the attempts result in errors and I can never register. How do I fix this problem?

Answer: Sony Pictures Digital acquired Sonic Foundry's desktop software assets in 2003. Sonic Foundry is no longer redirecting online registration attempts to the Sony Media Software registration server, hence the errors you are encountering. Sony Media Software has authored a fix to this issue.

Here is what you need to do:
1. Download the Sony Media Software Online Registration Repair Tool from:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/step2.asp?did=657

Be sure to download the application to a place you can easily return to. You should also create a backup of the application for future use.

2. Close any Sonic Foundry software that may be open on your computer.
3. Double-left-click the downloaded application detailed in section one above. This will install the Sony Media Software Online Registration Repair Tool.
4. The Sony Media Software Online Registration Repair Tool will first scan your system to identify legacy Sonic Foundry software. It will then repair the links for online product activation.
5. Launch the Sonic Foundry software that is giving you troubles and register online. Product activation should work as expected.

Please note, upgrading to a current version of the software will also fix this problem and enhance the feature set of the software.

And yes, it works as advertised (except for Sound Forge version 5)

And yes, it works as advertised (except for Sound Forge version 5)

Yes SF 5 doesn't work with the above tool, as I paid for the software I fail to see why it doesn't work after the trial period is over even with the original purchase serial & registration codes?

Back