Patch Bay Blues

myparents

im new to the patchbay scenario so i need some advice. im running a studio with a seperate control room and need an easy way to keep mics and lines plugged in at all times.(for ease of use) would it be proper to run all of these cords into a patch bay then just patch in when i want to use the inst or mic?
For ex. i have 3 keyboards yet i only need the one for the particular track. just patch the keys into the mixer. IS it a good idea to have all of the keys run into a bay so that it minimaizes time spent on running cables.
EX.2 have four mic cables permanently plugged into the PB, run this to a mixer and then into the two track. Basically patching the particular intstument or line when needed, yet having all of my gear constanly plugged in. I have spent too much time plugging and unplugging and it stunts the process. is this the proper application for a PB or is this a job normally done by a mixer.
Any advice is much apprieciated.
thanx

Yes, a patchbay is good for that. A mixer works, if you have enough channels, but it can still be more convenient to use a patchbay.

Back