Passive monitors: Yorkville or Reveals?

Passive monitors: Reveals or Yorkvilles

• Tannoy Reveal

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Yorkville YSM-1i

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Swede

I have a reference amp that is rated 100w/side @ 8ohms. Now I need monitors. I can't audition the yorkvilles but have heard the reveals and they would fit my need nicely. I can get either yorkvilles or reveals for about the same price. Wich one of these is the best?

Yo Swede: [You still cooking on the Muppet Show?]

I have Yorkville passives and they work quite well considering their frugal cost.

I imagine the Reveals would also work. I can't say which is better because I've never heard the Reveals.

However, there is an interesting article in the lastes issue of EM and they review 5 brands of monitors. You might want to read it.

Green Hornet :D :cool: :p

I don't know that one is better than the other. I'm sure you could mix on either one. I'm on my second set of YSM-1's and I love 'em. I could afford more expensive monitors but I like the Yorkies.

Either.

If you have a well treated room, go for the yorkvilles as they win on detail all around and have a deeper truer bottom.

If your room is not well treated, get the reveals as their upper mid and top end is less present and less fatiguing.

Both are bang for the buck buys and kill the competition at that price and above it.

You still cooking on the Muppet Show?

Yo Green hornet! Yeah, sure. Swedish meatballs all the way!!

Ok, these are apparently both good choices. I don't think my room is very well treated. I'm just a few months away from college and will probably spend next five years in a small apartment. I guess that it's not going to be an ideal room for studio-monitoring.

In Sweden, Tannoy stuff is relatively cheap, and kill most everything else on a price/performance basis.

I'm highly inexperienced but bought a set of Tannoy Reveals recently and find like them very much. Then again I haven't tried many others for any length of time.

Put it this way...they don't cane my ears and my mixes tend to sound decent when I play them on other systems.

I use Reveals and have found them to give a reasonably accurate mix in my mixing environment (whcih is by no means an ideal room
The mixes seem to transfer well to other systems and I don't get much fatique working for long periods. I can't reaaly ask for more from a low cost monitor system.

I've never heard any Yorkvilles but there are severla people who like the YMS-1's

Back