Passive Monitors What Can I do To Power Them??

Les W

I need an affordable solution!!

Can I use a mixer?
Receiver?

Anyone know?

Thx in advance

Les W

Les, you *could* use a receiver, but unless it's a monster unit, you'll probably regret it.

A dedicated power amp is going to be your best solution. The Carver model listed on ebay above is a solid performer. If you're looking for another inexpensive unit, the Hafler (1600?) is pretty cheap and quite good.

There's also the Alesis Reference series. Haven't used them, but they're el-cheapo.

I am looking at the infamous Yahmaha 6490s for $70, which is just temporary...

So a cheap setup will do for now...

thanks I will follow up on these leads!

Hey Les,
I'm also looking at the Yamaha 6490's ...
I'd love to hear your review!

And how ironic it is ...
I was loggin on to post a thread for suggestions on a power amp for these models when I ran accross YOUR posting.

Zoom'n said:
Hey Les,
I'm also looking at the Yamaha 6490's ...
I'd love to hear your review!

And how ironic it is ...
I was loggin on to post a thread for suggestions on a power amp for these models when I ran accross YOUR posting.

I am thinking of getting a generic receiver...

Better than the $20 set of headphones I got now :D

Guys (& gals?) -

I don't want to sound like I'm getting on a soapbox or anything. I'm all for doing the best with what you have. If there's a corner that can be cut without seriously affecting the whole, go ahead & cut it.

HOWEVER - Besides your ears, your monitoring chain is THE MOST important thing you have. No matter how wonderful OR crappy everything else is, none of it does you any good at all if you can't hear it somewhat accurately.

I'm not saying that you have to spend $6,000 on a set of monitors - I've heard quite good mixes done with NS-10's, BX8's, even those little Edirol things. There are obviously much better options out there, but there are resonably inexpensive options also. QUALITY HiFi amps can be wonderful, but expect to pay $1500-$4000 for one that will sound markedly better that a reasonably priced "reference" power amplifier. Most "consumer" stereo gear colors the sound pretty drastically. Normally not in a pleasant way either. The higher end stuff kicks ass, but I'd rather have a $200 Hafler than even a $1000 stereo receiver that says "THX" on it. Stereo receivers are made to "make stuff sound good" - Power amps are designed for accuracy.

Do what you're going to do if that's what you can do, but keep that in mind.

I use both. ;)

I have an old Marantz 2230 (30 per at 8) powering my mains (Fisher 10" 3-ways) and nears (4" 2-ways) because niether set requires much power for a reasonable volume.

Then I have a Carver PM 1.5 (250 per at 8) powering my 8" 2-way JBLs. The JBLs aren't very efficient and sound much better with the big amp.

Which leads me to something that hasn't been mentioned yet: amp clipping. :eek:

More speakers are blown due to amp clipping than overpowering. When a SS amp clips it produces a square wave. Speakers don't like that.

BTW the power supply in my old Marantz is just as beefy as the one in the Carver. Wonder why that is......... :D

Back