Passive MONITORs for under $500?

JetCityMatt

I want to get some monitors that I can use with a Yamaha receiver/amp that has a "pure direct" button to bypass its EQ section.

I'm going to send the line out of my computer into one of the inputs on the Yamaha and I'm also going to use these monitors to listen to the radio and CDs.

I am totally new to this.
I am limited on space and money so I thought that it makes sense to buy passive monitors that I can use with my stereo instead of spending twice as much on speakers for my new stereo in addition to monitor speakers for my computer.

thanks!

Event 20/20's passives are about 300.00..Then take the remaining couple of bucks and look into a used poweramp...go listen to the monitors before you buy..there are a buttload of passives that are inexpensive..Happy hunting :)

All that just for radio and CDs, huh? ;)

Tannoy Reveal Passives

then with the rest:

A stereo amp of your choice (between 50w-100w)
A decent power conditioner to help mold your power source to be less noisy and protect your gear.

All at a neighborhood friendly price of just under 500 gold pieces.

:D Yo Jet:

You can research monitors on this site and read until you're ready to collect Social Security.

Most folks were big on the Yorkville passives==I had a pair and they were great.

I recently got a pair of KRK ST8 passives; they have an 8" woofer and the Yorks only a 6.5 and it DO make a difference.

Nice and gutsy and a good buy for the $$s involved.

Green Hornet :D :D :eek: :cool:

The Green Hornet said:
:D Yo Jet:

You can research monitors on this site and read until you're ready to collect Social Security...

I recently got a pair of KRK ST8 passives; they have an 8" woofer and the Yorks only a 6.5 and it DO make a difference.

Nice and gutsy and a good buy for the $$s involved.

Green Hornet :D :D :eek: :cool:

Is there any truth to the opinion that I read on the web that speakers with a flat frequency response sound like they have a hollow midrange when compared with normal speakers?

If monitors are EQd a lot differently (ie: correctly/flat) than the average speaker that people will be listening to your CD with, how is mixing with the typical average speaker bad?

I read that long thread about monitors and somebody said some famous musician was using Radio Shack Optimus 7 monitors and that after some other musician heard them he went out and bought them. Sounds cheap.

I've already got a pair of Klipsch KSB 2.1 speakers with 6" woofers that I can use for listening to CDs- maybe I'll give those radio shcak speakers a shot since I don't really want to spend $400-500 on a pair of speakers...

All I am using is Cakewalk Guitar Tracks, so its not like I'm going to be doing any serious mastering or anything! :D

The salesman at Guitar Center tonight told me that I shouldn't use passive monitors with a consumer amp because the power is not steady enough and that I would hear random fluctuations in various frequency ranges, in addition to pops and random "artifacts" or something... is there any truth in that or was he just trying to sell me some active monitors?

:D Yo Matt of the Jet set:

I think the salesperson was giving a bunch of jargon, or redundancy.

Your ears are the important factor.

But, monitors let you hear what you've recorded. Thus, you can set levels accordingly. If you ever have mixed something with only cans on your ears, then played that mix through any system, you sit back and say to yourself, "Self, that isn't what I heard." Frequent items are the bass line and vocals.

Hi Fi speakers, which I have a pair sound nice; they sound better if the mix is good. BTW, I use a Yamaha integrated amp to run my entire studio: two sets of speakers, one, of course, the KRK ST8 passives, CD, phono, two tape decks, and there is an AUX if I wanted to add a DAT box.

Good mics, and a reasonable compressor also play key parts in making a good recording/mix/CD or tape.

Again, it's your ears and wallet that determine "good." I'm sure that Event monitors are better than my KRKs; however, for my needs, at this time, the KRKs do a nice job. I know, I'll get blown away with a better pair--well, if so, then it will be so.

I have a recording friend who took a trip to Sweetwater to listen to ALL the types of gear before he chose a couple of key items. A wise trip. So, if you can hear types of gear you need, you can make a better decision.

Finally, always buy from a vendor who will take the gear back in a set time limit. Of course you lose the shipping in most instances but that is not significant compared to a several hundred dollar cost.

Hope this helps.

Green Hornet :D

The Green Hornet said:
:D Yo Matt of the Jet set:

I use a Yamaha integrated amp to run my entire studio: two sets of speakers, one, of course, the KRK ST8 passives, CD, phono, two tape decks, and there is an AUX if I wanted to add a DAT box.

Finally, always buy from a vendor who will take the gear back in a set time limit. Of course you lose the shipping in most instances but that is not significant compared to a several hundred dollar cost.

Hope this helps.

Green Hornet :D

Thanks, that helps a lot! So, as I suspected, the GC guy was full of it because he wanted to sell me active monitors.

Any idea which brand of amp has the flatest frq response?

At a local store they told me that Denon has a really flat freq response- but that was just in comparison to Sony- so I don't know what is best (within a reasonable budget, like $500).

Is Harmon Kardon REALLY good or is that just the thoughts of two people's posts in another thread?
Yamaha, Denon, HK? Any ideas?

thanks!

Yo Jet-Man:

AX 592 is the model number of my Yamaha integrated amp. I find it has plenty of punch for my speakers, both sets. Coincidently, it runs around 500 US dollars.

Denon, Marantz, and HK are probably decent. I haven't heard those units but a good one is in the same price range as the Yam. BTW, the Yam unit has an adjustible FLAT dial which I keep at the max setting. And, the Yam has a "clear through" button that lets you bypass the amp's settings, no coloration when you're listening to the pre mix or final product.

But, do what you're doing. Ask, look, listen and by a product with a good track record.

Green Hornet :D :D :D :)

Back