passive diamond 8.2 review

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
Sooo, i finally got my Wharfedales 8.2p .I decided to go with passives since the cone is yellow... No seriously i just didn't like the idea (the PRO and all...) and since for almost the same amount of money I could hook it up to a bryston 2B LP PRO... I test drove it yesterday with a very bad D/A interface (need to upgrade... soon) and OH MY GOD. It was fantastic. Stereo image was fabulous and every instrument/sound was so clear and distinct... I heard backing vocals i never realised where there... They are a little bright, but i guess that's part of the clarity. Bass is exceptionally good, although i am gonna add a sub for the thump in the gut (something the wharfies physically can't ofcourse!).

And the best part; my mixes were actually BETTER then i thought judging from old stereo speakers. Damn, then i loved em even more... LOL

So big thank you to John for pointing me in this direction...

One question though; what is the advantage of bi-wiring? (and i do not mean bi-amping)

I'm certainly happy that everyone digs these things -

That image is "IN-SANE" isn't it? Especially from boxes that size...

There's a lot of scientific mumbo-jumbo that I don't really pay attention to on the bi-wiring, but for the most part it's there for bi-amp-ability, which I also don't really care for.

I shouldn't say that - If I was wiring up a new home system, I might biamp... For work, I like to have a more "real-world" situation going on.

SO - Are these "pro" passives or whatever they're called? I'm just wondering if they're shielded... The yellow cones ARE a bonus, though :D Those black ones look like leather. :eek:

Cool yellow cones aside, I almost always prefer a passive to an active. They just tend to sound more "natural" to me.

LOL, nope the Pro comment was for the actives.i REALLY disliked the pro in the name. Made me think of berrie...

The image is truly insane. My reference is Phil collins serious hits live, since it doesn't have huge amounts of bass and everything is so nicely balanced. I could point my finger at the toms... WOW. spread all over the place. I seriously became sentimental. What an experience. I fell in love after 10 minutes of playtime. Then i put on some heavy records (tool lateralus among others.. and wow... The dynamics and stereo spread made me go huhuhuhuh *this is the sound i make when i feel really good about myself or something*

Seriously. I can only laugh at people with the mackies now. hehehe can you say cardboard box... LOL

Back