Passive DI?

adam

I am currently looking at purchasing this for reamping:

http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html

It also says that it works as a passive DI. What exactly are the implications of passive, other than not needing power? On the back is a mic level xlr out. Does this mean that I would still need to use a preamp to raise the signal before going into the soundcard? The mic out thing got me wondering.

Currently I record DI through a DMP3 or Rocktron preamp. It would be great to free up a channel on the DMP3 for using 2 mics, plus a DI guitar sound when recording.

That box will (DI) convert intrument level to mic level for running into a mic preamp or it will (reamp) convert line level to instrument level for running a recorded signal back to a guitar amp.

It will not (preamp) raise an instrument level signal to line level for recording. You would still need a preamp from what I can tell.

That is what I figured after reading it. Kinda a bummer. I was hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. So then is the idea/functionality of a passive DI then just to interface it with a preamp that doesn't have a 1/4" DI?

I am still excited by the reamp abilities though. Any thoughts on an active DI then? There seem to be many between $30 and $300. Ideally I would hope to spend less than $150.

Thanks for the reply!

adam said:
That is what I figured after reading it. Kinda a bummer. I was hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. So then is the idea/functionality of a passive DI then just to interface it with a preamp that doesn't have a 1/4" DI?

Yep. But mainly it transforms the level and impedance from unbalanced high impedance instrument level to a balanced low impedance mic level. It is also usefull if you just want to run an unbalanced signal longer than 15-20'.

I am still excited by the reamp abilities though. Any thoughts on an active DI then? There seem to be many between $30 and $300. Ideally I would hope to spend less than $150.

Thanks for the reply!

To be honest I don't quite see the big need for a reamp box. Most guitar amps can handle a pretty strong input level. I would consider that to be one of those things you get if you already have everthing.

Why do you want a vanilla preamp? If you want to DI electric I would go with a modellor like a Pod or V-amp. If you really want a good electric guitar sound than micing the amp is still the best bet. I haven't used that many preamps for DI guitar so I can't really recomend anything. The FMR RNP and Avalon U5 are pretty popular but they are around $500.

I agree that micing is usually the best, especially combined with a DI or room mic. I was thinking about the RNP, which would also give 2 preamp channels. But the other alternative in the short term and on the cheap, at about $100 was a dedicated DI box.

This are some variations on how I record guitar often, usually with good results, using 2 mics and sometimes an ancient modeller:

*SM58 on amp spekear (I have 5 tube amps with different characteristics)
*Large Consender as a room mic or close up on the guitar, to get definition and spank (different effect using solid/semi/acoustic guitars)
*Rocktron Pro Gap Modeller or DMP3 for direct, clean sound (also use Rocktron for occasional high gain sounds)
*Sometimes use 2 amps, 1 dry one with effects

Then I can mix these sounds together, depending on need.

Having said all that, why I was looking for a DI:
*To have a "safe" take that I can use for reamping
*Free up a preamp channel
*Space is an issue right now and dragging out the Rocktron is kinda a pain, and also, it does color the sound a bit, but the EQ is very usable
*I travel or record remotely a fair bit and a small DI without power cord would be nice
*I have started experimenting with plug-ins on guitar

Why I am looking at a reamp box:
*My experience with plugging direct line level sounds into amps has been less than great, keyboards, track outs, samples, field recordings etc. Usually the sound is very muddy to my ears, with little high end, too much bass, and too much attack.
*Often I can't crank an amp in my current space so I would have a track to play later through the amp
*I would like to take advantage of the different amps, pedals that I have -- experimenting with different combinations.
*I like to run other sounds out to these - percussion, vocals, etc.

I am not averse to a moddeller per se, the Rocktron is arguably one of the first ever modellers from 15 years ago. None of the current ones have floored me enough though. And also, I don't really have a need for the majority of the sounds in them. And a bit part of my philosphy is getting somewhat unique guitar sounds.

Heres an easy to make ( or go ahead and buy a complete one) DI from the best transformers in the business

http://www.comtran.com/db.html

you will find jensen transformers in all many of the top of thhe top gear. I have a few JT-DBE equipped DI's and they are great. Like tex says tho, they arent really a flavor, but they DO get rid of that sick zinginess of cheaper DI's

Back