Passive DI, Passive Pickup

I've never had any problems with it, but I guess it depends on what you are trying to do with it? I mainly use my "direct" track for editing and re-amping purposes.

Yes, it will swap voltage for current, giving you a lower-level, low output impedance signal. This is what step-down transformers do. They don't particularly care if the source feeding them is a pickup or a transistor. Although more complex interactions are possible with the pickup, which may create larger variations in tone. That could be good or bad, depending on the specific parts in question and desired sound.

This is actually more of a live sound question, I guess. Hope nobody minds.

I just mean is there any reason whatsoever to plug my passive pickup into a passive DI before running it into a mixer? Or is there a reason not to do it? Like sometimes I'll use the passive DI box I have just so I can plug my guitar in closer to me instead of having to run the cable over to the mixer, which might be pretty far off. Is that helping anything? Hurting anything. Doing anything?

Yes, it will swap voltage for current, giving you a lower-level, low output impedance signal. This is what step-down transformers do. They don't particularly care if the source feeding them is a pickup or a transistor. Although more complex interactions are possible with the pickup, which may create larger variations in tone. That could be good or bad, depending on the specific parts in question and desired sound.
Is there voltage coming out of a passive pickup?

The reason for using a DI (passive, active, whatever . . . though they are all active as far as I know . . . at least the ones I use are) is to convert your input into a signal that will be happily understood by your mixer. A further advantage is that the balanced cable from DI to desk is insurance against unwanted noise.

Whether you have active or passive pickups is of no consequence to the DI. They usually have adjustments to cope with varying levels of input signal.

If you are close to the mixer, then its ok to plug the active pickup straight into a line level input on the mixer.

Is there voltage coming out of a passive pickup?
There has to be, otherwise there would be no signal.

In my experience, passive DI's will color the sound of the guitar. Most of the time, it makes the guitar sound duller. I always use active DI's for passive pickups. If you have any pedals in your chain, you can use a passive DI without any problem.

In your situation, a DI box is good just because you are balancing the signal before you run it through a long cable.

The reason for using a DI (passive, active, whatever . . . though they are all active as far as I know . . . at least the ones I use are)
There are dozens of passive DI's. They just contain a step down transformer. Active DI's need power from a battery or phantom, passive's do not.

Whether you have active or passive pickups is of no consequence to the DI. They usually have adjustments to cope with varying levels of input signal.
Passive DI's don't have anything other than ground lift switches. They will also load down the pickup in some instances.

Yes . . . I stand corrected.

I've never used passive DIs, and had no reason to even question their existence, hence my ignorance in that area.

here is my general rule of thumb for using DI boxes...
if my guitar has passive electronics I use an active DI box
if the guitar has active EQ then I use a passive DI Box
transforming a high Z signal to a low Z signal will sound sterile without either the guitar or the DI box being active.

Very well put.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back