Passive Crossover (building)

mapeterson

Anyone had any experience building a passive crossover. If so could you explain this for me. I want to add a passive crossover for a sub and also limit my speakers from trying to play that deep bass. So would a first order butterworth with a 200hz pass to my main speakers and a 100hz pass to my sub work set up like a 2 way crossover? I have used the one in CEP to kinda get a feel to what my speakers will do and useing the filters in it kinda got a rough guese to what sounds good. I am not very electronicly knowledgeable just can't find a powered sub that will do the same thing. Also can I use adjustable capacitor's or inductors like a dip switch or something. Thanks

Passive Crossover

I may be able to help. First I need some information from you.

I need a description of your satellite speakers. Tell me as much as you can about the drivers, impedance, sensitivity (SPL) rating, etc. I would recommend a quasi-second order series network. The capacitor value for a Butterworth first order parallel filter is very high.

What you are asking for - a passive multiple turnover frequency crossover - is possible, but not realistic to design. That's why there are active filters in powered subwoofers.

Have you considered this possibility?: Build a bandpass subwoofer that naturally rolls-off on the top-end at about 60 Hz to 100 Hz, depending on the drivers used. If you were to use a dual voice coil woofer, rated at 8 Ohms per coil, you could use these (coils) in parallel with your two satellite speakers, assuming that they are nonimally rated at 8 Ohms, and you'd have a net impedance of about 4 Ohms, which would probably be an acceptable load for your amplifier. The downside: you lose about 4 to 6 dB in SPL with the woofer, but practically speaking, that may not be a problem. You could also build two separate woofers in a bandpass cabinet - two 8's or two 10's, for example, and gain back some of that SPL loss. This gives no filtering to the satellite speakers, however, but it may also help the subs and sats blend.

I can refer you to sources for these designs and you can experiment on your own for very small costs. For example, use a combination of electrolytics, mylars, and a small value poly bypass cap to get the value you need with good sonic results.

Go to www.partsexpress.com for one of the very best sources of drivers and crossover parts. They even have design software which you can download free of charge. Their Dayton brand of woofers, which run from $16 to $30 apiece, are some of the best values in woofers that can be found. Poly coated paper, rubber surrounds, vented voice coils, etc.

The Sat's 2 way are Harman Cardin bookshelf with 6in and I think 2 in tweeter's in sealed boxes can't tell they are in a houseing I am not sure of the crossover they just have freq response and max watts is 100 boxes and papers have long since been gone. I looked at getting powered sub's but the problem is that I still need to restrict the bass from the sattelites a 40hz slowroller is a little much for them to handle and I don't think that the crossover's for the 6 in is bandpass so they try to and I emphasize try to play it. at a real low volume this is probably not a problem but when you start getting up even 15 to 20 watts they start to rumble. I listen to mostly classic rock music but have kids that listen to rap so they handle the rock very well it is just the low bass of the rap that is too much for them. I found how to build a network at this site http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover2.html which is a little vague but after reading it 10 or 20 times I think that I understand it. And found a calculator at this site http://www.the12volt.com yeah I know it would probably be easyier to just ban the kids from the computer but I like that they are into music hey what better to be into so I am trying to make it to where we both can use the same system without haveing to restrict them but I am tired of getting new speaks every few months. I spent $160 on a set of advents and they even toasted them. The harman cardin's are older but have a real good sound and are in real good shape and the amp is a sansui mini rack just the amp only I am useing the soundcard as a pre. I just need to get them to where they play probably no lower then 150 hz to keep em alive. If you have time check out the termpro and let me know if this is a legit way to build a network or is it lacking. Thanks for the link

Passive sub crossover

A passive sub crossover is a bad idea. First of all, how do you adjust the relative levels? You would need to put an L-pad in front of either the sub or satellites - not a good thing. Secondly the large inductor and capacitor values required for such low frequencies force you into using iron core inductors and electrolytic capacitors - bad. Thirdly, the impedence especially for the satellites will not be flat in this frequency region, so a simple cookbook crossover will likely yield poor results.

There are definitely active subs out there with high pass filters for the satellites.

barefoot

Thanks

I did find one with amp/active crossover and am checking into it to see if there are others. I figure mabey I have to do a little more research and also I did figure out that I would definately have to do an L pad to even assimilate something that would sound ok not good but ok. Thanks for the info

Back