Panning issues

p.babs

hey there,

(to start I did do a quick search and didn't find anything).

I am having an issue panning-I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue, or software.

I am using cubase 6, with a presonus firestudio tube.

When I pan anything hard left, when it gets to 76 or 77 out of 80 the volume drops off dramatically, and when you hit 80 it disappears completely. When i pan the same track hard right it doens't lose any volume.

when i run an audio mixdown, it appears in the mix as though there were no issues (panned hard left).

I've swapped out cables, and this changes nothing.

I was just hoping that someone may know about a setting i accidently tripped in cubase, or if they have any constructive trouble shooting ideas it would be apprecaited.

why do these things have to happen right when I'm finishing a project!?

It sounds like you have both your monitors hooked up to the right output of the interface.

Fairview makes a good point.

Could it be that because your track is recorded on a right track (there are right and left channels)
Odd numbers are left channels.
You will experience some drop off in volume when you pan also.
IIRC upto 6db for extreme panning. Which to our way of hearing means a percieved 50 percent drop off in volume.
try to do your panning before you do your volume automation for this very reason that way you wont have to do it twice (The volume auto)
i hope this helps but i doubt it.

hey guys, i'm still having issues,
to clarify, definatly both monitors are hooked up to different l/r outputs (there are only two outs in the main). whats weirder, is that when you have it panned hard right, it doesn't matter which output the right monitor is in-it gets volume and the left doesnt. now before you say that the left monitor is dead-I borrowed two brand new monitors and swapped them out-same issue.
I've swapped cables, tried switching up the outs, no change. when you pan left it dies, right is fine. any chance that there is a problem with cubase?
kip, i'm assuming that you mean that by odd channels you literally mean the channel number? if so, then no it doens't matter if the channel is left or right.
(also, i appologies if i made any spelling errors, i'm typing this at 1am without my glasses-so i'm squinting a little!)

The output of your daw must be set weird. Go into routing and make sure the main output is stereo and the left is routed to channel 1 output and the right is routed to the channel 2 output.

The only other thing that could be wrong is your interface is broken.

The output of your daw must be set weird. Go into routing and make sure the main output is stereo and the left is routed to channel 1 output and the right is routed to the channel 2 output.

The only other thing that could be wrong is your interface is broken.

well, i checked the daw's output, and everything seems to be working fine.

I'm going to get my hands on someone else's fire tube for tomorrow evening, i'll drop it in-hopefully that test will provide some answers...

Back