Panning Guitar

bassgirl4

This may be a completely stupid question but i'll say it any way.

If you want to pan a guitar differently in different sections for example have the guitar mono in the verse and then panned left and/or right in a chorus of a song, would you need to record different guitar tracks for each panning idea?

I think that would depend on your recorder (analog,digital recorder,DAW etc etc) and the amount of TKS. for sure...

You could do it a couple different ways.
1. play the part all the way through on a single track and use automation to pan the track at the appropriate times.
2. Play the part all the way through on one track, add another track and cut and paste the panned parts to the second track( that you have panned)
3. play the different parts on different tracks.

It really doesn't matter, just do what is easiest for you.

You could do it a couple different ways.
1. play the part all the way through on a single track and use automation to pan the track at the appropriate times.
2. Play the part all the way through on one track, add another track and cut and paste the panned parts to the second track( that you have panned)
3. play the different parts on different tracks.

It really doesn't matter, just do what is easiest for you.

Thanks for the advice, it helped a lot! :)

Automating the panning is probably the easiest way to do it (assuming you are using a full-featured DAW), but be careful in how you actually do it - 'moving' instruments in a recording gives a certain feel to the listener as they move in the stereo image.

Farview has it right. Please note that extreme and immediate panning can sound a bit confusing to the listener. You may end up with a "ping pong" effect that is unintended. As noted in part three of Farview's post the double tracking effect can add a nice thickening effect when panned. You will often hear that (in lots of places to) but on the chorus. Automated moving panning seems to be popular as well. If you do that, think subtle movement.

My #3 wasn't about double tracking. I was just suggesting playing the parts that are panned on one track and the parts of Tue song that are centered on a different track. That way, you don't hear the guitar part panning because of the automation or the cut paste...

Back