Panning for GOLD!

Flyin' Brian

I wanted to know, before I mix down my first song, exactly how the pan works. I know that it selects the side of the tape that the audio will go on, but when I record something far right, will it show up there when I mix down to stereo or will the pan control control the placement of the audio in the master mixdown. I have all my audio in the far positions for a 4-track recording and iwanted to be able to adjust what speakers the sound will come through in the final mix. Help please.
Flyin

Hi Flyin' Brian

Don't know what kind of 4-track your using, but they are all similiar. You should have a pan control for each channel/track.
The pan contols on each of these will determine where in the stereo image the instrument will end up.. All the way right or left, or anywhere inbetween. When you mix down, you will be taking a stereo Right/Left output from your 4-track to the input of whatever you decide to mixdown to: Cassette, VCR, Computer, DAT etc.

So, to answer the question. If you can adjust the panning of each of the 4 tracks, have a stereo output on your 4-track and can assign each of those tracks to it, then yes, you can adjust the stereo placement however you like when you mix it down. There is probably someway to asign the 4 channels to the stereo output.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, I should have added.. when recording, you are just using the pan to send the signal to track 1 or 2, or 3 or 4 (or is it 1 and 3, 2 and 4, can't remember) Whatever, it is only for getting the signal (out) to its own strip/section on the tape. For mixdown, and just playback, you have control of the signal (in) for stereo placement and then back out to mixdown.

Back