panning drums

lukirocks

hey folks,

i use a few samples to form a kit in fruity loops that i make drum parts with. My question, how should i pan the individual drums. I know that traditionally, hats go right, ride goes left. But how far? I don't really want to use the full spectrum do i? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

no, not the full spectrum. Picture yourself looking at a drum kit, and pan accordingly. The only thing I pan hard are the stereo overheads.

yeah i think youd want to give it a little dimension, but not too wide. keep the bass and snare near the middle, and the toms and cymbals can go off center a little each way. try to keep the ride and floor toms on the same side. this way things sound 'natural'.

Our drummer has 4 toms... i like to pan them with the two outer ones panned left and right hard, and the two inner ones panned left and right slightly... that way when he does rolls across them it gradually passes from one speaker to the other

On my 5 Oiece I usually do it this way which is Probably very simular to many others...

I have my Snare and Bass Center and I have my 1st tom Panned Left and my second Panned center and my Floor panned Right and I have my Left overhead Panned Left and My Right Overhead Panned Right..

This gives me a Fairly good stereo sound on the Drums and sounds pretty good ....

Cheers

boogieman481 said:
Our drummer has 4 toms... i like to pan them with the two outer ones panned left and right hard, and the two inner ones panned left and right slightly... that way when he does rolls across them it gradually passes from one speaker to the other
yeah, thats the ticket. :cool:

Back