Pair of Monitors?

A7X

So my current gear is now

Firepod 8 preamps
Mac G4 laptop
SM57
AT3035

Now i'm on my next buy, I'm thinking its best to get myself a pair of monitors so I can mix properly. I'm using headphones so its not the best. What do you guys think? i'm thinking monitors or a bass kick mic...

A7X said:
So my current gear is now

Firepod 8 preamps
Mac G4 laptop
SM57
AT3035

Now i'm on my next buy, I'm thinking its best to get myself a pair of monitors so I can mix properly. I'm using headphones so its not the best. What do you guys think? i'm thinking monitors or a bass kick mic...

Monitors. You've got a lot more to get before you go to a bass kick mic, man. :p

+1 on monitors.

Almost anything would be better than having to mix only on headphones.

Haha yeah I know, now only headphones, but cheap headphones.

The reason why a kick mic cause my school has a good few mics I use, few condensors, sm 58s, 57s, ect. And I find on my recordings the downside seems to be the kick. But yeah Monitors seems the way to go, Thanks:)

I'd suggest a compressor next (after the monitors), as well. It'll do wonders for your recordings, especially if you do lots of drums (which I'm assuming you do if you're looking for a kick drum mic).

yeah the compressor is not bad in garageband, but my goal is to stay away from software/vst by purchasing rack gear in time. I'm not sure if people will agree with that, but I wouldn't mind comparing.

A7X said:
yeah the compressor is not bad in garageband, but my goal is to stay away from software/vst by purchasing rack gear in time. I'm not sure if people will agree with that, but I wouldn't mind comparing.
Software/VST is getting into a totally different world, and I know what you mean by not wanting to purchase it. I'm in the same boat, but as my rack starts to fill up, I'm considering it more and more. You'll have plenty of time to buy gear like that, as long as you don't jump into rack effects too quickly and buy a bunch of them. If you're looking for a new compressor, check out the RNC. I just bought one for $150, and I can't wait to test it out, I've heard nothing but great things about these compressors..

andycerrone said:
Software/VST is getting into a totally different world, and I know what you mean by not wanting to purchase it. I'm in the same boat, but as my rack starts to fill up, I'm considering it more and more. You'll have plenty of time to buy gear like that, as long as you don't jump into rack effects too quickly and buy a bunch of them. If you're looking for a new compressor, check out the RNC. I just bought one for $150, and I can't wait to test it out, I've heard nothing but great things about these compressors..

Sounds hot, ill look into an RNC on ebay. Can you give me some feedback on the compressor when you use it. A compressor might be a next buy after monitors.

Back