painted rims

Nick_Black

Mirthmaker
is it ok to paint the rims of your drum kit?

in other words, I'm thinking about puting a decent layer of epoxy paint (to prevent it chipping to fast)
would that change the tone of the kit significantly?

I wouldn't do it but then I'm lazy & can't be hacked painting

having said that anything that will chip on me I'm never to keen on in any way what so ever

but that's me

if you want a finish that will last a while, you can scuff 'em up so it'll stick, then use brake caliper paint and bake it at 200 degrees for about an hour.

It will have no affect on tone...and it will eventually chip off...even the stuff for brakes. It will end up looking like crap.

I suppose someone should ask if the rims are wood or metal;)

If you decide to do it I would tape off the contact area with the head.
Some paints will stick to objects if held there with pressure long enough.
That could give you tuning problems.

And of course I would not throw wood rims in the oven;)

Actually I wouldn't put metal rims in the oven either for fear of changing the temper of the steel.

I'd wait until the rims are pretty chipped & scratched up before doing anything. In the mean time if they are black, get a black sharpy to do touchups.
If you let the ink dry half way and then gently tap it with a dirty finger it will make it match a matted/flat type finish better.
It's won't look super good up close, but from 10 feet away it works fine.

F.S.

it wont affect the tone to any degree that you'll be able to tell, and the brake caliper paint is actually a very strong finish, stronger than powder coat as i've been told. for a kit i'm building, i'm using black powder coated rims, but the lugs will be painted lime green with the brake caliper paint.

Back