Package Deal opninions and question

What's your end goal? Is this for fun or are you going to get serious?

If you're just looking for something basic for fun, it'll work fine. If you're serious...nope

Jacob

Well like I can't say, will the result sound good or pops and fuzzy. thats my main question as well as were do i hook the pre up to my comp? and how

Eastale,

I'm an audio beginner like you. I recently bought the Tascam Dp01fx, a couple of mics (MXL set: 603 and 2001), a Joe Meek JM27, a few stands, pop filters and suspension mounts. I'm recording ukulele(s), electric bass, assorted percussion instruments, melodica, voice. If you're intention is to make some clean recordings, rough demos, flesh out song ideas and most importanly LEARN and have a lot of fun, this is a good way to go.

The biggest limitations to the Tascam outfit is its' inability to record more than two sources simultaneously, and its' 16-bit threshold -- 24 bit is the way to go for infinite mixdowns and rerecordings -- it's "cd" quality. If you are interested in making mp3s to share (and get feedback) on audio sites like soundclick, myspace, etc., this will work fine.

Read the forums here, take advice from many of the smart guys (Harvey Gerst) knows a lot, then piece-out the components that will suit you and buy online: zzounds.com music123.com, many others.

If you don't go the SIAB (studio in a box) route, there are many computer- based recording solutions that work spectacularly well. You're going to have to learn some of that anyway, as the Tascam really works best as a recorder, and mixdown seems easier on a computer: think Audacity and Kristal (good Freeware programs) or n-Track and Sonar (commercial programs).

If you've gotten this far, I suggest you also check out mic comparison sites like http://testing.holmerup.biz/mic_pretest/MP3index_en.html and http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/. The Dummie's Guide, Home Recording for Musicians, volume 2 is also a great way to get your feet wet.

Lastly, listen to as much music online as you can -- see what others are doing, either right or wrong; learn from their mistakes. Take your time and have fun.

Good luck.

jumbosilverette said:
Eastale,

I'm an audio beginner like you. I recently bought the Tascam Dp01fx, a couple of mics (MXL set: 603 and 2001), a Joe Meek JM27, a few stands, pop filters and suspension mounts. I'm recording ukulele(s), electric bass, assorted percussion instruments, melodica, voice. If you're intention is to make some clean recordings, rough demos, flesh out song ideas and most importanly LEARN and have a lot of fun, this is a good way to go.

The biggest limitations to the Tascam outfit is its' inability to record more than two sources simultaneously, and its' 16-bit threshold -- 24 bit is the way to go for infinite mixdowns and rerecordings -- it's "cd" quality. If you are interested in making mp3s to share (and get feedback) on audio sites like soundclick, myspace, etc., this will work fine.

Read the forums here, take advice from many of the smart guys (Harvey Gerst) knows a lot, then piece-out the components that will suit you and buy online: zzounds.com music123.com, many others.

If you don't go the SIAB (studio in a box) route, there are many computer- based recording solutions that work spectacularly well. You're going to have to learn some of that anyway, as the Tascam really works best as a recorder, and mixdown seems easier on a computer: think Audacity and Kristal (good Freeware programs) or n-Track and Sonar (commercial programs).

If you've gotten this far, I suggest you also check out mic comparison sites like http://testing.holmerup.biz/mic_pretest/MP3index_en.html and http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/. The Dummie's Guide, Home Recording for Musicians, volume 2 is also a great way to get your feet wet.

Lastly, listen to as much music online as you can -- see what others are doing, either right or wrong; learn from their mistakes. Take your time and have fun.

Good luck.

Aight sounds good. Thanks

Try the m-audio fast track. That way, if you can use your computer, your not waisting money on what you have. Computers are nice and theres alot of good free software. For me, its not a sacrifice at all to use free software, things like reaper ( recomend and use it: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/ ...Its updated constantly and free, and will soon offer even more advanced versions for around 30$...which is better than 700$) Im starting off (as of about a year and a half ago) theres alot alot alot of learning man. ALOT! this forum is amazing, so always check it out, and feel free to ask questions, and run by your decisions with us because it will help you alot in the long run. Read alot, and always have fun with it, thats always important.

-harry :D

jumbosilverette said:
16 bit is CD quality. 24 bit is not.

Yes, you're right. I meant to imply that most cds are recorded at 24/96. I stand corrected.

Well, at least the 24 part. The 96 varies a lot more widely depending on the engineer's personal bias.

Back