PA9 diskusage Dropout bug after switching projects - not hardware!

Paco

pH meter
Hi all,
I think I figured out that when I close a cakewalk project and attempt to open another one, I will get disk-usage related dropouts when trying to play even a single track cakewalk file!
If I restart the Cakewalk program or restart Windows98, the problem disappears.

Any software guru's out there who know if there is some kind of memory leak or cache problem with PA9? (I'm not sure which version I have, but I know I haven't installed any patches yet).

My PC is supadupa fast & tweaked for recording so I know it's the CW software...

---
Paco
PC: 850 Athlon T-bird, Abit KT-7 Raid m/b, 30gig ATA100 7200rpm West Digital, SB Live value, ATI Allinwonder 32mb, 256meg PC100.
Record: Art tube preamp, Marshall MXL1006, SM57/58, RNC Compressor, Boss DR-770
Perform: Ibanez Art Star, Taylor 410, Ibanez GSR200, Hamer strat, MesaBoogie DC-5

Paco,
I would definitely install the patches. It may not help your problem, but it might. Plus there is alot of other problems fixed as well.

Here is the link for pro audio 9:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/ProAudio/PAPatches.html

Just open PA9 and click Help>About and it will tell you what version you have.

P.S. You might need to install the 9.02 patch first, then install the 9.03 patch. I would read through the whole process first.

Good Luck, A1MixMan

I have experienced the same thing with the 9.03 patch. It won't happen very often, and restarting the application always fixes it, so I don't care anymore. The enigmatic nature of computers... ;) However, if there is a permanent fix for this I would like to know, too.

Geez...if you haven't done it by now...you need a second hard drive, just for audio...your stressing out that poor 30GB drive. Also, if you did a major recording plus editing...your drive becomes very fragmented...and should be defragged before the next job...or a crash is on it's way in the form of dropouts.

Not at all...just time consuming. In Windows 9x/ME/2000/XP, simply go to your 'START' Menu, select 'Programs' or 'All Programs', then select 'Accessories', then select 'System Tools'.
Finally, select 'Disk Defragmenter' and run it on each drive.

In Windows 95/98/ME you can select 'All Drives'.
In Windows 2000, you would have to run it on each drive, one at a time. In Windows XP, it works the same as Windows 2000, although you can run commands from a DOS prompt in order to run it on all drives. This can be a bit more technical, so if you aren't into that, just do it manually. The problem is that you will have to come back and check on the system from time to time to start the next drive once one completes.

I created a batch file to do this for me, as I am using Windows XP in the studio. It is structured as follows:

defrag C: /v
defrag D: /v
defrag E: /v

You can use Notepad to create this batch file, but the extension should be .bat. For example, if you created a file called defrag in Notepad, it would be saved as Notepad.txt by default. You would have to rename it defrag.bat. Notice that I have a new line for each drive I have in my system. It will defrag them in the order of which I have them listed in the batch file.

The main drive you need to run it on will be your drive where you store your recorded audio. However, you should do all drives. I perform a Defrag on all of my drives after any amount of recording or editing....when I'm ready to quit for awhile.

Back