Pa Systems?

Cody Suit

likes Fast/Heavy music
im lookin at gettin one for under $3000

i already have a mixer and im buying a 50 foot 12 channel snake tommorrow.

i was lookin at the yorkville powered systems with no power amp. but i have no clue. im using it for basement shows although i would like one with a 10" subwoofer at least incase i do smaller hall shows and mic the kick

any info that i should know or any suggestions on systems?

what kinda mixer you have??

how crazy do you want to go?

here's my dream setup;

(2) 2-18" Sub Cabs
(4) Single 15" Mains
(2) Single 12" Mains
(4) 12" Floor Monitors

Crest Audio or Crown Power amps
EAW Speakers
Digidesign VENUE system

but i'm just being nuts and hypothetical; that system is over 100k already i'd bet.

but seriously,
i have 2- 15" JBL MR825's, and they knock my socks off as far as mains go.
I'm looking into getting a pair of JBL JRX118 18" Subs, and some floor monitors would be a good idea. Also looking into a Mackie Onyx 16 mic pre mixer, i think its the 1620 or 1640 or something like that. thats my goal as far as live sound goes.. plus, gotta have a crossover and some amps. i have a Ramsa amp now, which is a great amp. tough as hell..

3000 is very do-able.

i have a Crate 12 Channel Mixer (CSM 12)

i was basically just wanting maybe 2 mains about 12" and maybe one 10" sub? im not to sure. i dont know how much stuff costs so i'll have to find out how much i can spend first.

You'll want 12" - 15" mains and an 18" sub. It doesn't make much sense to have a sub smaller then the mains. Stick to JBL or EV and you should be okay. You're also better off getting some nice mains and adding the sub later if you have to.

also, check out some of yamaha's stuff.

yeah, 10" subs are consumer POS's, like for car audio, and home theatre... use pro's dont use that crap!

actually i was looking at yorkville's stuff cuz i hear its really durable and its probabaly gonna get knocked around alot. i was thinkin of getting maybe just 2 15" for mains.

i was actually at a venue that had a yorkville powered 10" sub and that thing was crazy loud for how small it is.

oh yeh and for power amps.... say if i get an 800 watt power amp do i have to match the speakers for 800 watts or what if the pair of speakers i got were only rated at 600 watts together?

is it better to have more watts in the amp or more that the speakers can handle..... or equal?

like if i made them equal and got a powered sub later then i wouldnt have to worry about getting a new amp for the sub cuz its powered right?

some guy just posted this online near where i live and i messaged him about it

DJ PA System - $2200
Date: 2006-09-30, 1:10PM PDT

DJ or Band Complete PA System
YorkVille AP812 800W Stereo 12 Channel Mixer/Amp
2 Yorkville Elite ES200P Powered Subs
2 Pair Yorkville Elite E358 2-Way 350W
Mounting Poles for E358
MSRP over $3600
To be sold as a complete system - no individual pieces
$2200.

i looked it up and its like $4800 CAD plus taxes new

plus i could sell my mixer that i have now. seems like a good deal to me and its pretty much what i was looking for.

anyone think its a good idea? its like half price?

Some interesting advice here. The size of a speaker, be it 10" 18" 21" or 6" has less to do with what it will output than the quality of the speaker.

This also seems interesting to me....
here's my dream setup;

(2) 2-18" Sub Cabs
(4) Single 15" Mains
(2) Single 12" Mains
(4) 12" Floor Monitors

Crest Audio or Crown Power amps
EAW Speakers
Digidesign VENUE system

How on earth did you decide on that being your main system? Those are mismatched main sizes (asking for problems) and a VERY small system to be considering a Digidesign Venue for. In fact, that setup speaker wise looks an awful lot like a drum monitor or side fills to me.

$3000 is not a lot of budget to get a PA on, so there will definately be compromises that have to be made. The first thing I would do is prioritize. Make a list of all of the things that your system HAS to do. How many channels? Do you HAVE to have monitors for that budget? How much output power do you NEED, how much coverage (primarily width) etc... This will help you to decide what components you need to buy. Now you can decide how much money to spend on each. Someone above mentioned sticking to JBL and EV. This is not a bad idea, but for budget stuff, I would definately look at the Turbosound TXD line. In my opinion it holds its own against the JBL and EV products that cost double. You may also want to look used. As for speaker sizes, there really is no formula. Every different driveer has different power and frequency specs regardless of the driver size. To say that you need 18" subs seems pretty silly. Why on Earth would you need 18" subs? whats wrong with 15" subs? or 12" subs? It all depends on the driver, the box, the amp, the crossover, the design etc... as to how one sounds compared to another. I will take my RCF dual 15's any day over some yorkville dual 18". The RCF's will be clearer, seem louder, be more defined, and hit harder. EAW also makes an awesome 2x12" sub, as does Nexo, Meyer etc... There is no reason that your low mid driver can not be bigger than your sub driver. As long as each is tuned and powered properly, there will be no problems.

Are you sure a 50' snake is long enough? I ask this because I thought this once too and it ended up to be too short. It lives in my home studio now and I picked up 100' snake for live stuff.

edit] I see now that you said it's just for your basement, nevermind.

xstatic said:
How on earth did you decide on that being your main system? Those are mismatched main sizes (asking for problems) and a VERY small system to be considering a Digidesign Venue for. In fact, that setup speaker wise looks an awful lot like a drum monitor or side fills to me.

$3000 is not a lot of budget to get a PA on, so there will definately be compromises that have to be made. The first thing I would do is prioritize. Make a list of all of the things that your system HAS to do. How many channels? Do you HAVE to have monitors for that budget? How much output power do you NEED, how much coverage (primarily width) etc... This will help you to decide what components you need to buy. Now you can decide how much money to spend on each. Someone above mentioned sticking to JBL and EV. This is not a bad idea, but for budget stuff, I would definately look at the Turbosound TXD line. In my opinion it holds its own against the JBL and EV products that cost double. You may also want to look used. As for speaker sizes, there really is no formula. Every different driveer has different power and frequency specs regardless of the driver size. To say that you need 18" subs seems pretty silly. Why on Earth would you need 18" subs? whats wrong with 15" subs? or 12" subs? It all depends on the driver, the box, the amp, the crossover, the design etc... as to how one sounds compared to another. I will take my RCF dual 15's any day over some yorkville dual 18". The RCF's will be clearer, seem louder, be more defined, and hit harder. EAW also makes an awesome 2x12" sub, as does Nexo, Meyer etc... There is no reason that your low mid driver can not be bigger than your sub driver. As long as each is tuned and powered properly, there will be no problems.

Put much better than I could manage but I would add that the bottom end stuff by JBL EV etc is pretty lame and easily beaten by some so called cheaper brands. Thumbs up for the Turbosound TXD line and they would have good s/hand values as well.

Tony

My idea of a small affordable system is four good 12" wedges that can also be put on sticks, combined with an ample power amp, say 1000W. That gives you two monitors and two mains for basements, or if you set up somewhere larger, you can use the house mains or rent them, and you have four monitors in two mixes.

I think I would get pretty tired of carrying 18" subs down basement stairs . . .

oh yeh and for power amps.... say if i get an 800 watt power amp do i have to match the speakers for 800 watts or what if the pair of speakers i got were only rated at 600 watts together?

is it better to have more watts in the amp or more that the speakers can handle..... or equal?

Look at the rating closely; 800w can mean 400w per channel stereo at 8 0hm or is it 800w at 4ohm? They are not the same;
and speakers likes more power; give them too little and they melt.

If your budget really is $3K, consider this setup:

(2) Mackie SRM450 powered cabs = about $1,400

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SRM450/
(1) Yamaha MG mixer with 10 XLR inputs = about $300

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG16-4

(1) Fender Passport 500 system for monitors = $1,400.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PD500/
Or a Yamaha Stagepas 300 watt system for monitors = $550
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StagePas300/

The Yammi / Mackie setup would come in under budget and the larger Passport would put you a bit over budget.

The idea idea is to mix a larger and a smaller PA so you have monitoring available, and something very portable for the small gig or practice when the larger PA is not really needed.

The Mackie SRM450 pair handles all kinds of small venues and will crank out bass very well for a pair of 12" woofers. I have some 18" subs and a boat anchor amp; they stay home for most gigs I do. The Mackies are fine.

BadAE said:
Look at the rating closely; 800w can mean 400w per channel stereo at 8 0hm or is it 800w at 4ohm? They are not the same;

If you clip the crap out of the amp, they might melt, that is.

What about the Carvin Packages? I absolutely love my 1588 mains! The 1644 is a pretty good mixer as well. I matched these up with some Mackie powered 18 subs and it will make your heart pop right out of your chest!

xstatic said:

i know its not much but im not looking to do TONS of shows. just something to sing through while practicing. and if its good enough for practice its good enough for a basement punk show. it'll be nice having the 2 subs if i wanna mic the kick.

BadAE said:

No one ever melted a voice coil by giving it too little clean power!! The problems arrive when they try to give it power that the amplifier does not posses and run into clipping problems.

It is best too try to run speakers with an amp rating between 1.4 and 2x the power of the speakers.

With modern speaker management systems (or a good pair of ears) it is possible too completely ignore all of the old type rules.

Tony

No one ever melted a voice coil by giving it too little clean power!! The problems arrive when they try to give it power that the amplifier does not posses and run into clipping problems.

It is best too try to run speakers with an amp rating between 1.4 and 2x the power of the speakers.

With modern speaker management systems (or a good pair of ears) it is possible too completely ignore all of the old type rules.

We are saying the same thing, just that you say it in a clearer fashion.

Back