PA Speakers for gigs

I got that Barefoot is disdainful of the stuff that most everybody uses most of the time. That's okay. It would be nice to have an edge over everyone else.

Part of my problem is that it's virtually impossible to compare all of this stuff; especially under the circumstancs I will use it. And most people with experience actually using the stuff under similar circumstances have a pretty limited range of experience. Maybe I should bring this issue to Acoustic Guitar magazine or something. They should do an article (I have searched high and low and there seems to be nothing comparing the various products that I am considering!).

Slim:Electronic Musician did an artice on compact sound systems a while ago - search their archive section.

Barefoot- sorry for the slight! There's a world of difference (and degrees) between en electrical engineer and a physicist! Hope you bring your designs to reality.

Bob

I think our friend Barefoot might be a little overqualified for this discussion!

Another question: I'm also looking at Electro Voice, which seems to be a step above the Mackie/Yamaha level. I'm thinking of using their Sx100+ speakers, which are 12" speakers rated at 200W continuous, with, say, a Mackie 406M mixer (180 Watts at 4 ohms for each channel). Seems like a good fit ???

Bob,

My indignation was completely in jest. It's sort of an inside joke that we who are educated in science like to think of ourselves as better than mere engineers. But, the joke's on us. Most "scientists" wind up getting jobs with the title "engineer".

I'm one of them.:)

barefoot

DON'T GET MAD...

I used to be a JBL nut. I plurged and bought EAW speakers for our house system. They are great speakers but cost about 2000 per cab.

I was forced to cheap out on the monitors and bought the Yamaha SM-15V's and 12's Club Series. OMG

They don't have the harsh nasal sound of JBL's. Actually, They sound flat and warm like EAW's and have great wattage rattings.
Now, every time I have gig away from home, I take my Clube series monitors and use them as mains....and they Rock!

speakers

Li Slim

I have a Mobile DJ / sound service and use primarily Yorkville elite 350's. I love these speakers and they will do anything from a small hall to a large auditorium. i use them in my home for monitoring my "star" performances on guitar and vocals that i often get called to do.(were did i get howlin' dog from?)

We also have a pair of yamaha club series 15" speakers and these have a great bass responce but i find it to much for vocal monitoring. i would recomend trying the 12" speaker of the yamaha series.

that folks is my two cents.

thanks

Back