PA question...

LeeJ

I'm looking to bi-amp our live stage setup using 2 x Peavey PV2600, 2 x Peavey Hisys 2xt & 2 x Peavey hisys 115xt subs. Whats the best way to do it?
1. 1 amp powering the top (2xt's) speakers & 1 amp powering the subs

or

2. 1 amp powering the left stack & 1 amp powering the right stack?

In general, run your biggest amp on subs, your smaller one on tops (not too small of course). It looks like your amps are the same, but i would still run one amp for subs, and one for tops. Newer amps seem to be built pretty well in the power supply and transformer area's, but it is still a good idea to keep the load as even as possible between them which is why I suggest that you use a single amplifier for your subs. This keeps the stress load between the two channels of the amp a little tighter.

Will I need to bridge them somehow??

How will I get the signal from my mixer? Theres obviousley a left and a right XLR outputs on the mixer. but each amp has left and right inputs?????

You need to get a crossover. Stereo 2-way will do what you want. It splits the signal from your mixer into high and low bands, and provides outputs for each amp.
Splitting the signal keeps lows out of your top boxes and highs out of your subs. It's a much cleaner sound, and more efficient use of power. It lets you select the frequency where the split happens. It also lets you control the level of each band independently, letting you easily adjust your system in different rooms.
Peavey should be able to recomend a crossover point for that system.

For a half way decent sounding low budget crossover, look into the DBX's, or better yet find an Ashly. Just a rough guess, but start your crossover frequency at about 85 hz if you are using 18's, or 105 hz. if you are using 15's.

Back